Mig welding evening class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Most of my welding was on lifting gear with a process called atomic hydrogen welding, an arc with a hydorgen shield.

Not heard of that, and I've heard of a lot of things, at least on a superficial level ! I'm going to look into that. I take it the hydrogen instantly catches light and steam somehow shields the metal from oxidation

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had one of these when I had the rusty Land Rover. It was a good machine for everything I needed.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

That is very reasonable money, especially with a recommendation. If I do find a pretext to buy one, I would probably go for one with the "Euro connector" thingy for the torch as it'd be easier to swap and change, and have the right liner for aluminium welding wire etc

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Not heard of that, and I've heard of a lot of things, at least on a superficial level ! I'm going to look into that. I take it the hydrogen instantly catches light and steam somehow shields the metal from oxidation

Yes that is correct, you can use it in anything, but it was mainly used on high tensile steels, the only draw back it had to be used in a draft proof workshop as the hydrogen was on low pressure and a slight wind would push the shield away from the work.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That is very reasonable money, especially with a recommendation. If I do find a pretext to buy one, I would probably go for one with the "Euro connector" thingy for the torch as it'd be easier to swap and change, and have the right liner for aluminium welding wire etc
Make that two recommendations. I have same machine in my garage.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Learned oxy acetylene welding in the navy. Loved it, something very relaxing and therapeutic about getting a good weld going. Bought a gasless mig from Lidl for a specific job. Meh, it's a tool with no soul.

tyred

Legendary Member
My first arc welder for home use was an Oxford oil cooled, lovely welder, but weighted a ton.

Grew up with one on the farm, my brother has it now although not sure if he still uses it. A hefty piece of kit. My dad made a frame from angle iron to set it on with wheelbarrow wheels which made it easy to move around the place.

An old family-owned garage nearby which repairs tractors and machinery has a welder that was bought new in the mid 1950s at great expense and it is still in use, now on its third generation of owner.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's hints of us being able to have a go with TIG and (raw) arc welding if we can get our test pieces signed off. My t piece above was "good enough", but whilst I did OK this week none of my outside corner pieces were quite there. Each was nearly there but each had a different flaw, so not good enough to submit for critique yet, though each was 80% good. My tack welds are excellent with all the practice.

Fastpedaller

It looks like you're progressing well, and enjoying it (that's important).
A couple of years ago (lockdown 'treat') I bought an Inverter Welding Machine, mainly because I was tired of trying to lift the old buzzbox from one end of the garage to the other!
The Inverter is a great little (very light) machine, and a little easier to use than the buzzbox, although the principal is the same, as it's still an arc welder than uses those infernal sticks. They're called sticks 'cos they stick when you don't want them to :laugh:
Anyone else here used an inverter?
I've 'hobby welded' for about 30 years, having used Arc, Oxy-Acetylene and MIG and things I've noted over the years may be helpful......
1) Obviously take the relevant safety precautions, but don't be scared! It's easy to be scared (certainly at first) when the arc strikes, and the guy lurking behind you going 'bang' doesn't help either:smile:
2) Go as hot as you can without burning through - it's easy to think you've got a good weld because it looks smooth, but it needs good penetration. If using arc, the rod sticks (not wanted) more readily if the amps are too low.
3) Keep the arc close to the metal (applies to arc and MIG), drifting away from the work happens easily and isn't good.
4) If using arc, keep your rods in the airing cupboard, not in the garage. Some suggest a heating quill or oven, I've never used one (maybe more for pros, or the rich?
5) Try to have good sight of the weld...... getting into that corner can be tricky (maybe the most tricky part, other than the short arc)
6) Don't get despondent. there will be good days as well as bad whilst you are learning
6a) With MIG, if you get a good weld, note down the setting of the amps and feed speed, so that next time you'll know what to use (for that machine, the one in the next bay may be different) next time for that thickness of material.
7) Practice, practice, practice

I never really took to MIG, and prefer Arc (especially now with the inverter). My favourite (I've not tried TIG) is Oxy-Acetylene, because it all happens slowly and it's possible to see 'the basics' of what a weld is..... a nice and relaxed, but expensive method for hobbyists.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It looks like you're progressing well, and enjoying it (that's important).
A couple of years ago (lockdown 'treat') I bought an Inverter Welding Machine, mainly because I was tired of trying to lift the old buzzbox from one end of the garage to the other!
The Inverter is a great little (very light) machine, and a little easier to use than the buzzbox, although the principal is the same, as it's still an arc welder than uses those infernal sticks. They're called sticks 'cos they stick when you don't want them to :laugh:
Anyone else here used an inverter?
I've 'hobby welded' for about 30 years, having used Arc, Oxy-Acetylene and MIG and things I've noted over the years may be helpful......
1) Obviously take the relevant safety precautions, but don't be scared! It's easy to be scared (certainly at first) when the arc strikes, and the guy lurking behind you going 'bang' doesn't help either:smile:
2) Go as hot as you can without burning through - it's easy to think you've got a good weld because it looks smooth, but it needs good penetration. If using arc, the rod sticks (not wanted) more readily if the amps are too low.
3) Keep the arc close to the metal (applies to arc and MIG), drifting away from the work happens easily and isn't good.
4) If using arc, keep your rods in the airing cupboard, not in the garage. Some suggest a heating quill or oven, I've never used one (maybe more for pros, or the rich?
5) Try to have good sight of the weld...... getting into that corner can be tricky (maybe the most tricky part, other than the short arc)
6) Don't get despondent. there will be good days as well as bad whilst you are learning
6a) With MIG, if you get a good weld, note down the setting of the amps and feed speed, so that next time you'll know what to use (for that machine, the one in the next bay may be different) next time for that thickness of material.
7) Practice, practice, practice

I never really took to MIG, and prefer Arc (especially now with the inverter). My favourite (I've not tried TIG) is Oxy-Acetylene, because it all happens slowly and it's possible to see 'the basics' of what a weld is..... a nice and relaxed, but expensive method for hobbyists.

Oxy acetylene is only dearer in the sense of having to rent two bottles rather than one, and for mig you ideally need more than one gas if you're doing different materials. The torches are cheaper than a decent MIG machine too. I looked into getting a gas set up many years ago, and it was bottle rental that kyboshed it for me back then at least. That said if I go diving again I could have a second usage for the oxygen. A diving pal of mine's Mrs does art project gas welding and she was wondering how the oxygen was getting used up so quick before she twigged. You are supposed to use "diving grade" but I don't think he bothered. "diving grade" is of course fine for welding.

If my next place has a suitable garage or workshop I might get some kit. Thinking TIG due to versatility with different materials, particularly thin materials, all using a single gas (Argon) although it would need more skill. We did get a brief play with TIG, and it was rather satisfying even the inch or two of weld we each did. You can get do-it-all MIG, TIG, Arc machines albeit the AC/DC TIG variants (necessary for Ali) are a good couple of grand

Gas welding has the bonus of being usable for brazing (eg making a bike frame from scratch), and heating up stubborn bolts and such, and maybe even small scale foundrywork.

Fastpedaller

Here's some test welds I did with 1.5mm mild steel and 1.6mm arc rods using the inverter welder.
As can be seen the weld 2nd from right is quite presentable. All the others were carried out with travel speed too high or too low, amps too high or too low or arc gap too big. Just trying out extremes of machine settings and technique give an insight into what will work.

Attachments

• HTW7.JPG
    HTW7.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom