"Might need a bit of a clean..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm surprised he didn't clean it out - my son does his as it's all lit up like your son's - he has a UV and 'blue' theme going on - the UV lights up all the lettering on the motherboard.

keithmac

Guru
I was into building PC's 15 years ago and even then you could spend a frightening amount!.

Our two have Xbox Ones at the moment, you can get a good 5 to 7 years life out of a console where as PC's are ever evolving!.

My cousin runs a Virtual Reality business (he come to you for parties, work events etc), dread to think what his outlay was at the start!

si_c

Guru
I was into building PC's 15 years ago and even then you could spend a frightening amount!.

Our two have Xbox Ones at the moment, you can get a good 5 to 7 years life out of a console where as PC's are ever evolving!.

My cousin runs a Virtual Reality business (he come to you for parties, work events etc), dread to think what his outlay was at the start!

My current rig is nearing end of life - it's been upgraded slightly over time since I originally built it in 2011 with a slightly faster CPU and more memory and a faster GPU, but it's lasted 9 years so far - the RAM and CPU was less than £120 for both and the GPU was £150. All these were top end parts from a later generation at end of life stock clearance discounts. I'm still playing top end titles now, albeit at 1080p and with reduced fidelity.

I'll be upgrading in the new year most likely, but I expect that platform to last a similar length of time with careful upgrades.

Gunk

Guru
Here's the rig that replaced all the gubbins I got, which included a fancy touch-screen fan controller and a Geforce GTX Titan X.
View attachment 497995

The motherboard, CPU and RAM you can see in that will be coming my way also next year. Core i7 3820 and 32GB of 1866 MHz DDR3 memory. Until then, the cooler, now cleaned, and the Corsair Obsidian 750D case it came in, will have to await a suitable power unit: the Titan X assumes a 650W system supply, of which it can consume 250W. Eek. He's running that rig on a 1000W unit.

All looks very fancy, what does it actually do?

All looks very fancy, what does it actually do?
Apart from building the rigs, he does VR and game testing - I doubt he paid full whack for the RTX2080, for example, probably subsidised.

Top Bottom