Might of just bought a new bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Rustybucket if you want i can collect it 2moro and use it for a week

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well - ive gone and bought another bike. Somehow managed to get the Boss to say yes to it! (I do have to get the lounge decorated now thou)

Its going to be my summer commuter

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/29893...one-di2-alfine-steel-road-bike-black-red.aspx

Getting delivered next Saturday cant wait!!!!!

Leccy shifting on a hub bike for £1,200 sounds good to me.

You are getting the cheaper eight speed hub, as opposed to an 11 speed, but I see that as a benefit.

I have an 11 speed which conked out after 18 months - fixed for free by Madison - but it still broke.

My inquiries around this topic indicate the eight speed is tough, all but bomb proof, whereas the 11 can give problems.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
I had seen it ages ago - but saw a new Genises yesterday and it inspired me -

I think I was lucky as the size 58 has now sold out - so I must have got the last one.

Now need to get a saddle, peddles and new tyres ordered. Im thinking about mudguards but dont want to spoil its looks...

Well done, great bike.

Ps. Could you also cover strategy and tactics used on OH to get this. I got a riding buddy and he is still on N.

John_S

Über Member
Hi Rustybucket,

This caught my eye because I test rode a 2014 Day One Alfine 8 over my commute last year and really liked it.

Your new bike looks a lovely thing and it's an absolute bargain so I'm not surprised that you're pleased.

Thinking about mudguards, and this will be something subjective to everyone as we all have our tastes but, if you're thinking about how the bike looks maybe something like or similar to the Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders (their name not mine) instead of the more usual chromoplastic mudguards.

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders-city

Anyway back to your bike and I'm very jealous because I've got a weekend of decorating ahead of me and not even the prospect of a new bike at the end of it.

Hope that you enjoy your new bike when it arrives as it looks like a great purchase!

John

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Hi Rustybucket,

This caught my eye because I test rode a 2014 Day One Alfine 8 over my commute last year and really liked it.

Your new bike looks a lovely thing and it's an absolute bargain so I'm not surprised that you're pleased.

Thinking about mudguards, and this will be something subjective to everyone as we all have our tastes but, if you're thinking about how the bike looks maybe something like or similar to the Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders (their name not mine) instead of the more usual chromoplastic mudguards.

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders-city

Anyway back to your bike and I'm very jealous because I've got a weekend of decorating ahead of me and not even the prospect of a new bike at the end of it.

Hope that you enjoy your new bike when it arrives as it looks like a great purchase!

John

Yes I like the look of those mudguards! - Ive got some of the SKS chromoplastics on my other Genesis & whilst they do the job well - they arent that pleasing on the eye.

What was you overall impression of the gears, bike etc?

Thanks for your comments!!!

John_S

Über Member
I liked the bike however just as background admittedly my views might be skewed by a lack of experience of many different bikes.

To explain despite the fact that I've been cycling on a regular basis for about 25 years, and I'm also a daily commuter these days, I'm not in the habit of changing bikes much. When I was younger I had two Raleigh MTBs, a Mustang followed by an Apex which was my daily bike up until about 5 years ago when I bought a secondhand Trek 7.1FX hybrid which is the bike that I commute on daily now. In this time I've always done a lot of road miles and I appreciate that the MTBs were not the best tools for the job but when I was younger that didn't stop me from getting plenty of road miles in and plus I could use it off road whenever I wanted.

Anyway back to the subject of the Genesis Day One Alfine and now that I'm older (& hopefully wiser) I'm saving up to get something more suited to my daily year round all weather commuting which these days is the majority of my riding because having two young kids I don't get any spare time to ride just for fun.

I want a steel framed IGH bike hence why the Day One Alfine appeals. However having always ridden derailleur geared bikes I wanted to give a hub geared bike a try over my commute. I test rode the blue 2014 Day One Alfine 8 and I really liked it over my 20 mile round trip commute. I'm in the East of England and so compared to many other parts of the country my commute is pretty much flat as a pancake apart from a few undulations. Therefore I didn't really have any need for the lowest/easiest (if I've got this the right way around) 3 or 4 gears but I was comfortable on the flat with the other gears. On the downhill I was spinning out but I guess this could be address by a rear sprocket with less teeth if required but on my commute this didn't bother me as I just freewheeled for a little bit if spinning out on the downhill. After all it's just a commute and not a race. Anyway the gear ratio and whether it suits you will no doubt be affected by the terrain and hills of where you live and how much weight you carry when commuting. However for me I found the IGH experience a good one. On the Alfine 8 it had a bar end shifter which I got on well with but I guess the shifting on the Di2 version of the bike that you're getting will be different.

To me the ride was a comfortable one and for me personally I'm not too worried about the bikes weight because for me on my commute the bikes other features and suitability for my commuting all year around in all weathers is more important to me than saving a bit of weight here and there.

Anyway in summary I liked it but feel free to take my opinion with a pinch of salt because I'm a long way away from a test rider with experience of many different types of bike.

Hope that you enjoy your Day One Alfine!

John

outlash

also available in orange
Congrats, I've got the 8 speed version and as a commuter I can see it being ideal. Just a heads up though, get used to taking the back wheel on and off as the Alfine hub is nothing like a QR's wheel, although I assume it's a little easier with the Di2 version. Plus as it's got horizontal dropouts, some mudguards might give you problems removing said back wheel. I fitted some SKS longboards but took them off as it made life considerably more difficult so I now use an ass saver.
I'm just about to head off on mine for a quick ride as it happens. Enjoy!

Tony.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Bike got delivered today - Wont have time until Thursday to get it set up and go out for a test ride.
Will probably get some Marathon Plus tyres fitted (need to go and buy a spanner first!!!) - not worried about weight as it going to be my summer commuter.

Top Bottom