Milan SanRemo spoilers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Used a dropper post to skirt around the rules stopping you getting aero as you have to sit on the saddle and not the top tube, i wonder how long till they are banned ?
I wouldn't see it as "skirting the rules" the rules in question are about points of contact with the bike. Arse on saddle and hands on the bars.

UCI will probably ban it anyway. Just because.

Edit. Should have read the whole thread. Doh.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From one point of view it makes descents safer because riders can go faster without adopting a really dodgy position on the bike.

An alternative point of view is that it makes things more dangerous because riders can go much faster on descents and risk riding off into gutters and walls instead of staying on the road! :eek:

(Okay, Mohorič didn't actually hit a wall, but if he tried a thousand times I don't think he could get closer than he did yesterday and still not make contact.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
An alternative point of view is that it makes things more dangerous because riders can go much faster on descents and risk riding off into gutters and walls instead of staying on the road! :eek:

(Okay, Mohorič didn't actually hit a wall, but if he tried a thousand times I don't think he could get closer than he did yesterday and still not make contact.)
Riders have been overcooking corners since the first race with a downhill hairpin in it, so that's nonsense.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
We all want to watch heart in the mouth exciting racing though don't we ? I remember Sagan having his ar5e over the back wheel in the Tour one year on the descent.
Mohoric will have trained all winter for that race,he was one of the best descenders in the peloton as it is.I loved watching the risks he took.Definately a case of winning the race or time in Sanremo hospital.
Thankfully he won ^_^

We all want to watch heart in the mouth exciting racing though don't we ? I remember Sagan having his ar5e over the back wheel in the Tour one year on the descent.
Mohoric will have trained all winter for that race,he was one of the best descenders in the peloton as it is.I loved watching the risks he took.Definately a case of winning the race or time in Sanremo hospital.
Thankfully he won ^_^
Loved it. And of course the UCI immediately issued a statement confirming that dropper posts are legal (officially since 2014, I believe?).

But there is another point here ... clearly making descents faster (AOTBE) increases risk. There is an enormous detailed history of these assesments in motorsport; the modern cars go a LOT slower than they could, simply because the tracks are assessed as too dangerous for 250mph cars.
Descending is the main area where bike-racing encounters many of the same issues as motorsport. Only an idiot would ignore the similarities.

Would I ban the posts? Almost certainly not, it's a marginal gain, marginal safety issue. IMO

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
But there is another point here ... clearly making descents faster (AOTBE) increases risk.
Who said it's any faster....King Kelly did the Poggio descent (the iconic one !) 3,47 in 1992,Nibali 3,49 in 2018 and Mohoric on Saturday did it in....drumroll 3 min 35 !
He just made it look good 😁
Only other time I've been that excited in a Milan SanRemo was when Kwiato beat Sagan in a two up sprint !
Saturday was class because of that descent,bunny hopping out of the gutter,dropping his chain and that sketchy corner made it even better.
Nobody wants accidents,but there again nobody want boring racing...well some like the UAE tour I suppose 🙄
Fine line I guess.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Was the gutter bunny-hop deliberate, to scare the chasers (including Pog who he had reportedly warned beforehand that he was going to take risks) out of following too closely?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Was the gutter bunny-hop deliberate, to scare the chasers (including Pog who he had reportedly warned beforehand that he was going to take risks) out of following too closely?
I doubt it....but if it was it worked.

Top Bottom