Mild winter now guaranteed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
when was it... winter 2011 maybe, conditions were very icy so I bought some of these...
81D523oCv8L._SY355_.jpg

...and we haven't had ice since. Worth every penny! :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
You see winter tyres a lot now, I never really saw them years ago, or did they pass me by in the past.
A lot of my colleagues from Eastern Europe use them, probably a necessity out there, something they've brought with them perhaps.
Did anyone use them say 20/30/40 years ago ?

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
They make sense to me, they work well in the wet, as well as low temperatures, my "summer" tyres last longer and the wheels are not subjected to salt. I'd rather have them than not.

Slick

Guru
You see winter tyres a lot now, I never really saw them years ago, or did they pass me by in the past.
A lot of my colleagues from Eastern Europe use them, probably a necessity out there, something they've brought with them perhaps.
Everyone would have thought that you were mad 20 years ago and most folk would agree even 10 years ago. I can't imagine a time when I would fit winter tyres. :eek:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Winter tyres are mandatory in quite a few European countries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never needed them TBH in sunny (read wet) Manchester. If I lived in the hills then yes, and if I needed to be able to use the car every day, then yes.

I've always lived near major (crap) public transport, can cycle, and roads are fine other than maybe one or two days a year. I do have two sets of spiked ice tyres for my MTB's though, that's for FUN !!

Just fitted my winter tyres to the Octavia, so all we be well.

I will soon be performing a similar service for the local community when I fit snow spikes to my commuter bike.

Of course this is offset by my cleaning the bike several times this year when good weather was forecast, which of course precipitated, as it were, precipitation.

when was it... winter 2011 maybe, conditions were very icy so I bought some of these...
View attachment 491097

...and we haven't had ice since. Worth every penny! :okay:

I bought these for winter fell-races, but only had one race bad enough to wear them
They also attract lots of attention walking over tiled floors in the café, post race:whistle:

Inov-8 IROC 340

Levo-Lon

Guru

In some EU countries i believe its law to fit them during winter.
Probably why they cope with winter and our great nation grinds to a halt the second a snow flake falls or even talks:laugh:

Top Bottom