Mile End 05/11/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattyKo

Mile End, London - CYCLIST DOWN
This death represents the 9th (NINTH) in London so far this year. A fact which I am sure those from the capital do not need bringing to their attention, especially from someone that comes from The North Bank of the Humber Estuary.
2012 - a total of 14 fatalities whilst cycling in the capital, and 118 nationwide. Cyclists were one of the road user groups that had an upward trend, in road fatalities. It was also one of the road user groups that had a considerable increase in road presence.
It is a considerable period of time since I have visited the capital, however, I would assume that the occurrence of the Olympics in 2012 resulted in an increase in road traffic. I therefore accordingly hope that the probable reduction in cyclists fatalities in the capital for the year 2013, is not utilised as an indication of the success of any casualty reduction strategy, whether locally or nationally.
Especially when commercial vehicles (excluding company cars) were involved in as many as 25% of all road fatalities during the year 2012.
Conversely, LGV & HGV occupants accounted for only 3.5% of the road fatality statistics (33 & 29 respectively).
Nevertheless, Cyclists according to government statistics accounted for 0.15% of road fatalities in 2012 which equates to 2 of the 1,754 road deaths, during the year 2012.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
From a foreigner: does 'nationwide' mean England or the UK?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As I understand it, the British Isles is a geographical term not a political one and includes Ireland. Great Britain is the big island (all part of the UK) next to Ireland. The long form for UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island. I've no idea where the Isle of Man stands in all this.

OP
OP
MattyKo

MattyKo

Sorry for any confusion concerning the geographical extent upon which these statistics refer. In order to attempt to resolve the confusion, the statistics have been extracted from a H.M. Government - Department of Transport report concerning the incidences of "reported (to the police) road traffic accidents .

This is government report, so they are fully aware of the extent upon goods vehicle are involved in traffic accident.

I would suggest that there should be a fully embraced integrated transport policy, and the exclusion of goods vehicles from built up areas is considered important, it may be found that there is a further reduction of road fatalities.

As a person who has been involved in a very serious traffic incident as a cyclists, I am dismayed at the size of goods vehicles that are apparently deemed necessary to travel into the very centre of the city / town.

Often the final stages of the drivers journey, which has probably included all varieties of UK roads - motorways, dual carriageways, A roads etc. The first of these road cyclists are not permitted to travel upon. Had the consignment of goods been taken closer to there final destination by rail or water, and then collected by the goods vehicles for a shorter road journey to the store, maybe more awareness of the whole variety of road users by the driver may be achieved.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As I understand it, the British Isles is a geographical term not a political one and includes Ireland. Great Britain is the big island (all part of the UK) next to Ireland. The long form for UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island. I've no idea where the Isle of Man stands in all this.
It's part of the British Isles, apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
So you have:
  • British Isles (geographically) = Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, and some others.
  • UK (politically) = Great Britain, Northern Ireland.
  • Great Britain (politically & geographically) = England, Scotland, Wales.
So, on a more serious note, and back to the thread topic (and my apologies for the digression): you had 118 cyclist fatalities last year, in a population of about 63 million (i.e. for GB), which is 1.87 cyclists per million people. Australia (I think) averages about 20 annually, which is about 0.87 per million people. I found this surprising, as I get the distinct impression that Australia is generally more hostile to cyclists than GB. But I guess we live and learn.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
2755983 said:
Is that because the people of Australia cycle less and so are not out and about on their bikes to be killed.
My money is on the stupid mandatory helmet law :angry:: this considerably reduces the number of cyclists, and hence the number of fatalities. Now, the fatality rate as a percentage of the total number of cyclists, or (even better) the fatality rate per distance travelled, would probably make far more sense for international comparisons :smile:.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sorry for any confusion concerning the geographical extent upon which these statistics refer. In order to attempt to resolve the confusion, the statistics have been extracted from a H.M. Government - Department of Transport report concerning the incidences of "reported (to the police) road traffic accidents .

This is government report, so they are fully aware of the extent upon goods vehicle are involved in traffic accident.

I would suggest that should there be a fully embraced integrated transport policy, and the exclusion of goods vehicles from built up areas is considered important, it may be found that there is a further reduction of road fatalities.

As a person who has been involved in a very serious traffic incident as a cyclists, I am dismayed at the size of goods vehicles that are apparently deemed necessary to travel into the very centre of the city / town.

Often the final stages of the drivers journey, which has probably included all varieties of UK roads - motorways, dual carriageways, A roads etc. The first of these road cyclists are not permitted to travel upon. Had the consignment of goods been taken closer to there final destination by rail or water, and then collected by the goods vehicles for a shorter road journey to the store, maybe more awareness of the whole variety of road users by the driver may be achieved.
From the British Cycling site:
Zero – a startling statistic from Paris

In Paris, there are strict controls on HGV deliveries - this effectively stops them from using the road. The most restrictive times are for the largest and most polluting vehicles which are kept away from roads during peak hours. For example, larger vehicles can only deliver during the hours from 10pm to 7am and medium size vehicles from 10pm to 5pm.

The restrictions mean that haulage companies use smaller, low emission vehicles. These are often newer vehicles with better visibility and are more likely to be designed to modern safety standards. It also encourages the use of ‘consolidation depots’ where loads are shifted from larger to smaller vehicles driven by employees with experience of the city.

In 2011, there were no cycling fatalities in Paris. Zero. There were 16 fatalities in London during this time.

Fatality rates can fluctuate year on year but road traffic incidents involving cyclists in Paris in 2011 were just 8% of the total compared to 15% in London. In both cities this is well above the modal share of cycling (2-3% in both cities) and shows that people are far more likely to be involved in an incident while cycling in London than Paris.

Paris is a safer place to ride a bike (and we think it feels better too) and we believe that it is clearly because, at least in part, due the restrictions on dangerous vehicles.
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ca...-Cycling--Why-the-two-are-uneasy-bedfellows-0

OP
OP
MattyKo

MattyKo

In response to the statistical analysis; I think it unfortunate that we should attempt a ratio analysis; cyclists killed against the total number of cycle miles completed during any one given year.

It is highly probable that the majority of cyclists killed are not leisure or athletic cyclists, but just people whether in response to health promotion strategies or convenience, have decided to hop upon a pedal cycle to undertake a journey within the urban landscape of their city.

OP
OP
MattyKo

MattyKo

Further to the different traffic strategies and policies embraced in Europe.

I do believe that the "strict liability" policy is something that should be seriously considered over here - U.K..

In these incidences the largest vehicle involved in a traffic accident is immediately held responsible for the accident, until such a time as the contrary any be proven.

Top Bottom