Mile End 05/11/2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP

Be careful of those tipper lorries folks.

If they seem in a particular hurry behind you, even if they are annoying you by appearing to claim the road, my advice is to pull over. Let them go.

OP
OP
T

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Keep as far away from them if you can.I've been rolling the dice with them recently,which is not very clever.

spen666

Legendary Member
Too many people take too many risks.

Far better to take a few minutes / seconds longer to get to your destination than not get there at all.

City streets are not suitable venues for racing around. Far better to ride steadily.

Most importsantly- treat EVERY other road user (inc cyclists and pedestrians) as a danger to you

OP
OP
T

Twelve Spokes

I just haven't got over the incident on Tuesday @ Mile End.:sad:

I got there too early,but that's life.I feel sorry I couldn't do anything for him.

(Edited,due to misunderstanding.)

Last edited:
Twelve Spokes, sorry, but, should we not assume that the cyclist was not trying to top himself!! Strange response, don't you think?

OP
OP
T

Twelve Spokes

Twelve Spokes, sorry, but, should we not assume that the cyclist was not trying to top himself!! Strange response, don't you think?

Um,original post was misread I think,probably due to the way I posted it..Edited.Sorry for any offence caused.:sad:

No way did I mean that.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is very sad.

It is a good reminder to give trucks and buses lots of space. For those who say " Why should we?". Here are 2 reasons why we should. It really is not worth sneaking around these vehicles just to gain a bit of time.

I am not suggesting that was the case in these accidents.

RIP.

Steve

Buddfox

Veteran
The gentleman hit by the coach (referenced in posts 13 and 22 above) was pronounced dead on the 8th November (reported by road.cc over the weekend). 69 year old architect Francis Golding, now the tenth cyclist to be killed on London's roads this year.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Mr Bowyer told the court Howsego was stationary in his tipper lorry while partly on the crossing

It really annoys me that drivers can't leave a crossing clear when it is obvious that there isn't enough room. In this case it was fatal !

Origamist

Legendary Member
Not Guilty

The widow of a cyclist killed by a lorry today pleaded for safety improvements to prevent “another family being destroyed”.
Diane Holt spoke out after driver Anthony Howsego was found not guilty of causing the death by careless driving of Brian Holt, 62, in Mile End Road.
Mr Holt is believed to have been walking his bike across a pelican crossing, between two lorries stalled in traffic, when he was run over by the Crossrail contractor’s 38-tonne vehicle in November 2013.
Mrs Holt is now considering civil action for damages against lorry firm GF Gordon Plant Hire to help her and the couple’s daughter Leanne, 14.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...rovements-10338494.html?origin=internalSearch

Top Bottom