Miles or kms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I use kms. Why we insist on sticking with antiquated measurements that are so badly designed to match with each other in this country I'll never know. It gets really daft when you actually have to do any calculations that involve different dimensional units.

Here's the nice 'simple' guide to imperial length measurements: -
English_length_units_graph.png

Tin Pot

Guru
I use kms. Why we insist on sticking with antiquated measurements that are so badly designed to match with each other in this country I'll never know. It gets really daft when you actually have to do any calculations that involve different dimensional units.

Here's the nice 'simple' guide to imperial length measurements: -
View attachment 425348

It’s because people are idiots, almost entirely. When metric was explained to me about age 8, I got it. There are people who have had it in their faces for fifty years and still don’t.

Quod Erad Demonstrandum.

Tin Pot

Guru
I agree woith the point about illogical measurements, but I'm fascinated by the diagram. Thanks for sharing it.

They are only illogical when you take the step back.

A farm hand interested in the height of a horse may never need to know the volume of a keg.

The length of bacterium might never be of interest to a cartographer.

Within their own sphere of influence they work, and can be easier to work with (ie base twelve measurements are easily divisible by commonly needed numbers; two, three, four and six)

But as soon as you step back and try to make sense of it all...a standard measurement is obvious.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm 44, the perfect age to be working with a mixture of both metric and imperial.

The “age” to be working with Imperial measurements was the Golden Age, the 15th century.

After that The Age of Enlightenment should have put paid to this nonsense, but the metirc system was introduced in the Very Early 20th century.

So unless you’re 144, I dispute your assertion sir.

<doffs cap>

stephec

Legendary Member
Yeah but, right now I'm sat in a bar in Germany drinking what is supposed to be a large beer at 440ml, I'm gagging for a pint.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The “age” to be working with Imperial measurements was the Golden Age, the 15th century.

After that The Age of Enlightenment should have put paid to this nonsense, but the metirc system was introduced in the Very Early 20th century.

So unless you’re 144, I dispute your assertion sir.

<doffs cap>

Hat sir , hat.

It's the perfect age for me.

CXRAndy

Guru
When I was a lad we had pounds, shillings, miles, feet and stones, lbs. Then came this new fandangled metricity thingy Bob! We had to learn to convert this new way of talking into old language, so I spent a week, learning digital conversion 2.2, 4.54, 1.09 :biggrin:

My granny went to market and asked man at stall can I have 2lb of potatoes, the man said they were called kilos now. So she said alright, can I have 2lb of Kilos please :biggrin:

Top Bottom