Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Another issue is frame flex. As the majority of small wheeled bikes are folders, the rear triangle is probably quite rigid and capable of taking anything that your legs can dish out. But as far as pulling and pushing on the bars while climbing, there is no bracing as on the frame of a diamond framed bike and certainly in my case I am wary of applying too much force on the bars.

It's possible that Bromptons have a different set up. I have had experience of a Dahon and my current Viking Safari. All it means is that you have to adapt your riding style so that you use your lower body strength, especially for climbing, and ride in a more laid back manner. What is noticeable is the way the small wheels gather speed quickly, and lose it equally quickly, and need more effort to keep speed up. They need proportionately less effort at lower speeds. My subjective feeling is that the 20 X 1.75 wheels roll more easily than my 26" wheel mountain bike, but definitely not as well as my (fairly heavy) 700 X 35C equipped steel tourer. All subjective of course.

Top Bottom