Milk or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been cooking bolognese sauce for many-a-moon and recently came across a recipe that included adding milk. The first time I tried it, I used semi-skimmed and didn't really notice and difference. This week, I tried full fat and it was like night and day. Even the 'blackhole'/Mr hollow legs (that is my son), remarked that it was the best that he'd ever had...usually he just sticks it in, chews once to make sure it's dead, then swallows...but he really loved it! It was a labour of love (the food, not the boy!)...cooked it for 7 hours...but well worth it!

Does anyone else use milk for bolognese? In fact are there any other recipes with 'secret' ingredients that make a huge improvement?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll add it occasionally depending upon what I'm cooking (e.g. chicken and chorizo pasta) - it does take the sharpness out. Also adding bisto best gravy is another of my "go to" ingredients.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
@easytiwhat is your milk bolognese recipe?
Will try.
Here you go (this makes a large pan that does a family of three for three days worth)
500g smoked bacon - sliced
2 tablespoons oil
1kg beef or pork mince (or a mix)
3 onions
2 large carrots
3 sprigs of celery
1 cup of full fat milk
1 cup of wine (we use red but white is more traditional)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
500ml of passata (but can just use three cans of tomatoes instead of 2)
3 cloves of garlic
1 to 2 tsps mixed herbs (but have found that Italian seasoning is slightly better)
4 beef oxo cubes
3 bay leaves
black pepper

Brown bacon and remove
Whizz up onions, celery, carrots and garlic in food processor until finely chopped (or could just chop!!)
Sweat down veg in remaining oil from cooking the bacon,
Add milk turn up heat and let simmer until liquid reduced
Add wine and let simmer until reduced
Add beef/pork (have tried browning the beef etc before but makes no difference)
Add the bacon
Add tomatoes/passata
Add bay leaves, herbs, oxo and season with black pepper
Turn down very, very low and leave for as long as you like (we usually make at the end of the morning and eat it around 6pm)
Sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree but have found that this can make it a little bit bitter so usually have a taste and see

I know that there might be some things in there that aren't conventional e.g. not browning the mince...but it works!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
image.jpg

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Here you go (this makes a large pan that does a family of three for three days worth)
500g smoked bacon - sliced
2 tablespoons oil
1kg beef or pork mince (or a mix)
3 onions
2 large carrots
3 sprigs of celery
1 cup of full fat milk
1 cup of wine (we use red but white is more traditional)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
500ml of passata (but can just use three cans of tomatoes instead of 2)
3 cloves of garlic
1 to 2 tsps mixed herbs (but have found that Italian seasoning is slightly better)
4 beef oxo cubes
3 bay leaves
black pepper

Brown bacon and remove
Whizz up onions, celery, carrots and garlic in food processor until finely chopped (or could just chop!!)
Sweat down veg in remaining oil from cooking the bacon,
Add milk turn up heat and let simmer until liquid reduced
Add wine and let simmer until reduced
Add beef/pork (have tried browning the beef etc before but makes no difference)
Add the bacon
Add tomatoes/passata
Add bay leaves, herbs, oxo and season with black pepper
Turn down very, very low and leave for as long as you like (we usually make at the end of the morning and eat it around 6pm)
Sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree but have found that this can make it a little bit bitter so usually have a taste and see

I know that there might be some things in there that aren't conventional e.g. not browning the mince...but it works!
BTW for those who know me...we are still a family of four! I know I said three but number one daughter has a very restricted diet due to her condition

A real bolognese ragu can use milk but also uses much less tomato than the British version, which is more Neopolitan.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sounds delicious. And some serious ingredients in there. 4 stock cubes!! I might give it a go. Would it work with cream i wonder? I'd probably add at the end so it wouldn't curdle? I made my son pancakes with cream and water once because we'd run out of milk. He said they were nicer then usual

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Sounds delicious. And some serious ingredients in there. 4 stock cubes!! I might give it a go. Would it work with cream i wonder? I'd probably add at the end so it wouldn't curdle? I made my son pancakes with cream and water once because we'd run out of milk. He said they were nicer then usual
Hey Andy...I know 4 stock cubes sounds a lot but no seasoning apart from black pepper...had more tonight and damn it’s good! Not sure why the milk works at the point of cooking when it does...but it does! Might work with cream

Top Bottom