MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the advantages of a secondhand galaxy is that they often come with all the kit, as people end to buy them to try touring and then decide they don't like it. So all the kit ends up on ebay with the bike. I think one of the links I posted earlier was a biek with a complete B&M dynamo system, IMO an essential for a tourer.

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

thanks for the posts so far

don't know if i'm more or less confused now but having a dawes already and seeing it recommended on here so much i think it might be a toss up between a new dawes horizon (£440) or a secondhand galaxy

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I think you coul dtour on a chopper bike and and a toy wigwam if you like...but my limited experience out there tells me to ge the best i can afford. There is a false economy to be aware of on some cheaper kit. On a serious tour ther eis nothing worse than being let down by cruddy gear..especially when it is raining, cold and you have jus tridden 80miles loaded up, you will need to trust and rely on your gear. JMHO.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
aqaleigh said:
thanks for the posts so far

don't know if i'm more or less confused now but having a dawes already and seeing it recommended on here so much i think it might be a toss up between a new dawes horizon (£440) or a secondhand galaxy

Dawes prices are going up significantly so if you want a new Horizon and have found one for £440 I'd get in quick. The 09 RRP is £749.99:ohmy:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Stephenjubb, I would say that 'buy cheap buy twice' is often true and while you may not be doing a 6 month tour the best kit will last a long,long time. Having said that we all have to operate within a budget and a good time can be had with cheaper kit.
Your Laserlarge 3 wasn't cheap, I fancy! £300 or so?;)

The other thing I would add is that looking at those ebay bikes, I wouldn't want a tourer with down tube shifters, personally.

jack the lad

In part the answer to this depends on where you are touring and how good your mechanic skills are. Personally I would get the cheapest bike that does the job and spend more of my money on good kit, riding gear and sampling the local hospitality during my holiday. If you are in the UK or Europe on good roads, any bike that fits you, is in good nick and takes racks/panniers will do - could be a tourer, a hybrid or an MTB. Who puts their brand name on the frame is pretty much irrelevant.
I've done LEJoG, B&B toured in Provence (including a ride up Ventoux) and cycle-camped in Northumberland on 3 different bikes from the council tip - a Dawes Galaxy, Carlton Corsair and a rigid 90s 'Holdsworth' MTB respectively. Total cost £12. My partner on the LEJoG had a brand new Dawes Karakum. We set off and arrived at the same time and had the same number of punctures.

I second the Dawes Horizon. Near enough 5000 miles on mine in total and zero complaints. Even the bog standard, no brand tyres that came with mine were much better than the £40 I spent on so called 'better' tyres.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
stephenjubb said:
I've read these forums for two years now and everyone is great in giving assistance.

My perception is however I think a lot of them are rich as they always recommend the best kit there is (i.e. Ortlibieb panniers, Dawes Super Galaxy)

I agree and disagree.

You said it yourself...we tend to recommend the kit that's worked best for us (the best kit, in your own words) and unfortunately the pricey stuff tends to work best. People ask for recommendations, we make 'em.

However we'll all say at some point on any thread that you can tour on any bike and halfords cheapie panniers lined with bin bags. We're all more keen to see people touring than get 'em to buy ortliebs!

jags

Guru
you get what you pay for,i bought the best i could ,yip all the top brand,s ,
simply because this is a ,one of buy. i diden't what any problems,okay i know everything ain't perfect but the build quality of top notch gear ,is light years ahead of the lower end . the gear on that used galaxy ,is going to be much better that the gear on a cheap bike.

I've just brought a dawes 1 down, not sure of the age but it has been well used. It's a 26" wheeled renolds 631 tourer; £195. I'm going to use it for commuting but if I was to go touring then I'd get some new wheels. The bikes are out there in Fleabayland to buy you just need to be patient and know what you want. Good luck hunting for your tourer.

Windy

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

HelenD123 said:
Dawes prices are going up significantly so if you want a new Horizon and have found one for £440 I'd get in quick. The 09 RRP is £749.99:ohmy:.

now found one new for £400 but it is the 2008 model - don't know if they changed much?

Top Bottom