MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aqaleigh

OKAY SO HERE IT IS - THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

I have decided to upgraded my dawes giro for a tour specific bike

Which is the best touring bike for £500ish or less?

I have so far looked at

RALEIGH ROYAL
CLAUDE BUTLER REGENT
DAWES HORIZON
DAWES KARAKUM (over budget but looks great)

Would anyone recommend any of the above or can you suggest a better option for my hard earned pennies

jags

Guru
does it have to be new.?

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

open to suggestions

If you feel say a secondhand dawes galaxy would be better than a new dawes horizon thats fine by me

just looking for everyones thoughts to help me make a decision on my purchase

jags

Guru
also check out the thorn forum ,guy on there selling a nomad ,might be a bit pricy and not sure of the size but a beautyful bike.

Brains

Legendary Member
For under £500 you are talking 2nd hand, as even the lower end of the range of touring bikes start at close to a grand. So I assume the million dollars you refer to are from Zimbabwe ?

I look at the Dawes Super Galaxy, they can be found for that sort of price with a few miles under the saddle

I have just been talking about this "which is the best Tourer to get". I will hold my hands up and say I think Dawes do do the best tourers. As for Thorn I think do some of the best Tandems but not tourers!.

Yes you can get better! if you have it made but it will cost a lot more and unless you are riding it all most every day is it worth it? Why I say that is because one of my friends rides to work M2F on a old Raleigh which is dead. But when the weather is nice he gets out his Trek I keep on asking him why spend more on your twice a month bike then the one you ride every day!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Galaxies are great tourers as are old 531 Claud Butlers.
The Karakum is hugely underated IMO, a good bike to ride naked and suitable for expedition-like tours, a fine all-rounder.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Galaxy fan here..dunno why peeps think the older ones are better than the new ones , I have a 2007 and it's a good solid FAST tourer that coped well with a 20-25 kilo camping load and a Big bloke.

picture.php

Magna

Save a bit longer (or get a bit of credit) and get a new Dawes Super Galaxy. The economy needs you! (This is my justification for buying new stuff currently)

You know you want to.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've read these forums for two years now and everyone is great in giving assistance.

My perception is however I think a lot of them are rich as they always recommend the best kit there is (i.e. Ortlibieb panniers, Dawes Super Galaxy)

Whilst I am grateful for their responses and approach, sometimes I do get the feeling at times (though not all) cost is not taken into consideration and you must always get the best kit.

Whilst I agree poor kit is not worth it, there surely must be products in the middle that perform adequately.

If you were to follow a lot of the advice and buy best it would cost a fortune, i..e. Hillberg Tents, Dawes Supergalaxy, Ortlieb Panniers etc.

Ask yourself where are you touring? If it is a world tour (and you are likely to go to some remote places) then you absolutely need the best kit.

However if you are only touring 2-4 weeks in any given year you can get away with more moderate kit (never cheap unless starting out - however sometimes cheap can be found that is ok)

As an example I bought the raleigh royal with Raleigh Avenir Panniers, a good bike, suitable for medium tours in europe upto 8 weeks but I would not use it on a world trip.

My tent is a Terra Nova Laserlarge 3, great for europe etc but no good for world trips (fabric is too light and would eventually wear out)

If I were ever to go on a world tour, presumably I would have enough money to support myself (though some still do it other ways - i.e. working as they go, respect to them) so I could then sell the above and then buy better kit.

As an example if you were in need of a car to runaround town would you buy a rolls royce when a mondeo would do (though some do! with more money than sense)

The main point is with all the excellent advice regarding kit just keep your common sense and don't get carried away buy what you don't need.

Research each product and thoroughly evaluate before you buy (try and visit a shop with the product in so you can see for youself)

Brains

Legendary Member
Whilst I agree with most of the long post above, you don't need the best tent/panniers etc (a festival tent is fine, as are bottom of the range panniers) the example of calling a Dawes Galaxy a 'top of the range' touring bike is far from the truth, don't get me wrong, they are good bike for the money, to use you car equilivent they are the Ford Mondeo.

You can not get even a middle of the range touring bike for under £1,000 and the top of the range bikes start at double/triple that figure

Spend the £500 for a 2nd hand decent touring bike, a Thorn if you can find one at that price or a Dawes Galaxy/Super Galaxy should be tracable, and maybe leave you enough cash for the rest of the kit.

Top Bottom