Question for advocates of Brooks Imperial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jnow

Regular
Although I haven’t had trouble with saddles on a road bike, I’m having trouble finding a saddle I like for a touring bike. The nose up design of Brooks B17 (standard) made a few test rides uncomfortable. I have two questions:
1. Is the pressure due to nose up contact less (and hopefully, much less) with an Imperial straight off the shelf?
2. Does anybody swear by the Imperial who found the standard model uncomfortable, or is the ride experience very similar?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is the B17 'nose up,' ? Doesn't look like it me. The Imperial has a centre slot cut in it for your ****s, presumably, but that's the only difference according to their blurb.
I have a Swallow which I love but I don't know if you'll find it comfortable, it's narrower than the B17

I broke in two B17s.
The first took about two or three weeks of an hour a day, the second a weekend - a 300km weekend.

Both involved several adjustments of height, angle and direction until it was right.

I don't wear padded shorts if that's relevant.

I'm not sure where you're going with the "nose up design"? Set it up where it is most comfortable.

It doesn't really matter what I or anyone else swears by - it's your ass, your saddle and your comfort.

Having said that I swapped my saddle out for a C17 (all weather) before I left on my last tour. The care required of a leather saddle in various conditions made me conclude that I was likely to have saddle problems.
It's not as comfortable as a B17 but I'm pretty sure my B17 would have been wrecked by now.

I once met a French guy cycling to Nordkaap for the second time. His first attempt landed him in a Scandinavian hospital after he developed blood poisoning from ignoring saddle issues.

Top Bottom