Milltag liquidated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I thought their niche was more or less about charging a premium for fancy design.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they were, I occasionally looked at them but they clearly weren't producing to any real scale, they relied on making limited runs of a design and then moving on to a new one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I could be wrong but I always thought Miltag were an independent retailer. Rather than being a cut price outfit I thought their niche was more or less about charging a premium for fancy design. I wouldn't call them a "major online retailer ... low cost" I don't think you can set them up in opposition to the "smaller local independent" as you could with, say Wiggle.

Or have I totally missed the point of your post? Which is always possible.

I think you have. My point is Milltag were a small independent retailer and when "we," the cycling community, choose to purchase from major online retailers we threaten the survival of the LBS. This doesn't only apply to cycling but to any instance where there is a choice between online or local independent.

I have always supported my LBS, it is my first choice for anything I need and I know I pay a premium. The point is though I'm not only buying a product I'm also purchasing service, advice, support and loyalty. I can walk into my LBS at 9.00 tomorrow with a mechanical and, within reason, can leave 20-30 minutes later with it fixed for the price of parts. When I mentioned to the owner I had entered the 312 his response was "Have you got a minute?" We then spent two hours discussing how I should approach the challenge.

No online retailer can give this level of service.

My overall point is "we" shouldn't bemoan the decline of the independent sector if "we" are not prepared to support it. I don’t mind what people choose to do but would like folk to appreciate the consequence.

pawl

Legendary Member
Santini and Castelli must use the same dummies. I tried XXL Castelli shorts - too tight. I'm a medium in most other brands !
I mainly stick to the one brand I know fits me now.

If I’m buying clothing like you buy a brand that fits me But lately this hasn’t been successful . My nearest independent unfortunately doesn’t stock clothing and also doesn’t have a great range of tyres I do try to use them as much as possible
Clothing and shoes I tend to use Decathlon as I can try on clothing.Occasionally use Halfords.

Top Bottom