Milltag liquidated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm afraid I have to ask who are, were, Milltag?

Obviously I do now know. The harsh reality is whenever someone supports a major online retailer through buying low cost, let's be blunt cheap, products it drives another nail in the coffin of the smaller, local independent.

Don't mourn, support independent retailers if you want them to survive. I think though the harsh reality is the cycling world wrings its hands at another loss while making choices based only on cost.

Last edited:
Yeah I've never heard of them either, the article states one of the co founders left 2 years ago, perhaps they saw the writing on the wall?

Obviously I do now know. The harsh reality is whenever someone supports a major online retailer through buying low cost, let's be blunt cheap, products it drives another nail in the coffin of the smaller, local independent.

Don't mourn, support independent retailers if you want them to survive. I think though the harsh reality is the cycling world wrings its hands at another loss while making choices based only on cost.

These are harsh times and many will hold back on spending until better times come about.

Miltag and Velovixen have a good reputation for quality and both have history. Velovixen explicitly said that they had record returns last year. So it shows they are being patronised by their customers but they no longer can afford to retain their purchases. Nobody is rushing to buy mass produced cycling attire.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
These are harsh times and many will hold back on spending until better times come about.

Miltag and Velovixen have a good reputation for quality and both have history. Velovixen explicitly said that they had record returns last year. So it shows they are being patronised by their customers but they no longer can afford to retain their purchases. Nobody is rushing to buy mass produced cycling attire.

Ah, I see you have removed the remarks about my failure to understand the current economic climate and what you perceive as my "virtue signalling." Could I ask why you removed those remarks? Would it be because the previous time you suggested I failed to understand something I corrected you at every turn?

In these difficult, harsh times my pensioner household is on a fixed income with no potential to increase that income. As an example the weekly food shop has increased by +/- 20%. I can assure you I am very aware of the difficulties people face and count myself fortunate that despite the economic disaster heaped on us by Truss and co we are doing OK, unlike millions of others.

It is in this economic climate that it is vital we support independent retailers who will struggle with increasing costs and declining income when compared to the huge multi-national with the reserves, borrowing power etc. to see out tough times. Far from "virtue signalling" it is the way I always shop in the belief doing so brings real benefit for both myself and my LBS. To provide another example I crashed in December, smashed a helmet and the bike needed a very thorough check. I paid my LBS £30 more than the online price for a new helmet, they went over the bike in fine detail and fixed everything for £10 - which was just a cable which needed doing anyway.

If you'd like to check the validity of my stance please feel free to search CC and you'll find numerous incidences of me posting this view. Overall I feel my take on this differs from the majority who look for the lowest cost in both good and bad times. In my view this isn't necessarily the best choice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sad news. I have a Miltag jersey. It's a bit skinny so I don't wear it often.

Big T

Guru

I try to support independents but they make it hard sometimes. My wife bought a top from Fat Lad at the Back. It didn’t fit properly so she sent it back, but it cost her over £7 in return postage. We’ve both bought lots of stuff from them in the past as we like their brand and ethos, but will hesitate in future.

The problem with buying stuff online is you can’t try it on before you buy, so there’s a fair chance you may buy the wrong size, given the complete inconsistency in sizing in cycle clothing. I have an Endura top that’s XL that fits and a have a Santini top that’s 5XL that’s a bit tight!

Last edited:
I try to support independents but they make it hard sometimes. My wife bought a top from Fat Lad at the Back. It didn’t fit properly so she sent it back, but it cost her over £7 in return postage. We’ve both bought lots of stuff from them in the past as we like their brand and ethos, but will hesitate in future.

The problem with buying stuff online is you can’t try it on before you buy, so there’s a fair chance you may buy the wrong size, given the complete inconsistency in sizing in cycle clothing. I have an Endura too that’s XL that fits and a have a Santini top that’s 5XL that’s a bit tight!

Santini and Castelli must use the same dummies. I tried XXL Castelli shorts - too tight. I'm a medium in most other brands !
I mainly stick to the one brand I know fits me now.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Santini and Castelli must use the same dummies. I tried XXL Castelli shorts - too tight. I'm a medium in most other brands !
I mainly stick to the one brand I know fits me now.

I've sold jerseys on ebay. I've listed chest size, collar size, length front and back, sleeve length over and under arm and the length of the zip. I never had a complaint about fit, and slovenly retailers who only mark clothes S,M and large etc deserve all they get with returns. There is no international standard for sizing and one sellers XL is another's medium - as every one of us has found out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I could be wrong but I always thought Miltag were an independent retailer. Rather than being a cut price outfit I thought their niche was more or less about charging a premium for fancy design. I wouldn't call them a "major online retailer ... low cost" I don't think you can set them up in opposition to the "smaller local independent" as you could with, say Wiggle.

Or have I totally missed the point of your post? Which is always possible.

Top Bottom