VeloVixen gone into administration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just saw this:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...rs-liquidation-as-cost-of-living-crisis-bites

Sounds like a combination of factors, including higher costs and fewer sales.

The 'returns' thing is interesting. Seems like people are used to over ordering and sending stuff back these days. It's a big feature of cheap fast fashion giants like BooHoo, but whereas they operate on huge volumes of sales, high returns are crippling for smaller companies.

Never used them myself so can't comment on whether other factors like value and quality came into play as well, but it's a shame as it's people losing their jobs and a reduction in consumer choice.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I think some of it is the need /desire to get the best price possible. A lot of the castelli gear is on sale year round and some seriously good prices out there. I guess they just can't compete with the likes of wiggle and sigma sports.

It's a business that is well know for its low barrier of entry. They are not the first cycling loving couple that went into cycling apparels. Their cycling wear suppliers are also supplying others including new business entrants.

Its a small setup and they are competing with other small setups. It a tough marketplace.

Here is another couple in the same line and I watched them from very start. In their case, they have a large network of friends involved in cycling including racing clubs plus cycling bloggers and YouTube influencers.

https://attacus.cc/pages/about-us

Screenshot_2022-03-24_at_22.49.56_1024x1024.png

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I may be wrong but wasn't VeloVixen just effectively a reseller and not a unique brand? I.e. they either sold stuff made by Santini, Stolen Goat, etc. and possibly made some unique pattern designs that were then manufactured by these and sold?

All uphill

Still rolling along
As I remember they had some decent marketing and eye-catching products; shame it wasn't enough to make their business viable.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Just saw this:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...rs-liquidation-as-cost-of-living-crisis-bites

Sounds like a combination of factors, including higher costs and fewer sales.

The 'returns' thing is interesting. Seems like people are used to over ordering and sending stuff back these days. It's a big feature of cheap fast fashion giants like BooHoo, but whereas they operate on huge volumes of sales, high returns are crippling for smaller companies.

Never used them myself so can't comment on whether other factors like value and quality came into play as well, but it's a shame as it's people losing their jobs and a reduction in consumer choice.

On the returns thing - I think the main issue is that sizes and the actual fit in cycle clothing are very, very variable - I can be anything from a medium to an X-Large depending on the manufacturer. Sizing charts are often not that helpful and you can be right on border of two sizes. As a consequence I think customers are ordering two of the same item and seeing which fits best then returning the one that doesn't.
It is very sad that they have gone as they were one of a very few companies dedicated to support women cycling kit needs.
Another factor may aslo be that some of the bigger brands have also now started offering women a good range of kit designed specifically for women cyclists and not just scale down versions of mens' kit and also in a range of colours & designs.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the returns thing - I think the main issue is that sizes and the actual fit in cycle clothing are very, very variable - I can be anything from a medium to an X-Large depending on the manufacturer. Sizing charts are often not that helpful and you can be right on border of two sizes. As a consequence I think customers are ordering two of the same item and seeing which fits best then returning the one that doesn't.
It is very sad that they have gone as they were one of a very few companies dedicated to support women cycling kit needs.
Another factor may aslo be that some of the bigger brands have also now started offering women a good range of kit designed specifically for women cyclists and not just scale down versions of mens' kit and also in a range of colours & designs.

Not that fit larger women consistently though!

I find SG clothing inconsistent, two of the same style of jersey in same labelled size would fit completely differently so one would have to go back even though I was happy to have both.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've heard of VeloVixen but that's all. Two comments though on the possible reasons. I rarely buy kit because I have more than enough and the only thing I really wear out is shorts. This means anything I might be interested in is entirely discretionary and I can't justify £80, 100, 150 unnecessary spend at present.

On the returns aspect I think this is a penalty any on retailer has to pay. I don't like buying clothing online but retailers leave little choice these days. Last pair of street shoes I bought I ordered five pairs to try knowing I would only buy one pair. Last jeans I ordered six pairs and returned four. Recently ordered two gilets from Galibier again knowing I would return one.

So returns rate from me is 50-80%. This must cost the retailers a fortune but if they refuse to put it on a shop shelf that's a problem of their making and I have no sympathy.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was really saddened by this news when I heard it a few days ago. I was a very happy Velovixen customer and as @vickster says, their FB group is an absolute joy to be part of. So much encouragement and support!

I agree with many of the posters that size inconsistencies meant there was a LOT of returns and that we don’t actually need that much cycling gear once we have the basics. There was so much on their site that I wanted but couldn’t justify at all.

Such a shame. I’d actually like another pair of shorts at the moment and my first thought was to go to Velovixen. Their FB group was a mine of information about fit, quality, the best items for different activities etc. A real loss.

OP
OP
A

AuroraSaab

Veteran

I think the size thing on cycling stuff is very true. I bought a Ribble jacket a couple of years ago that I would say was miles off the intended size. Passed it on to a skinnier friend. Probably way more returns on cycling gear than on joggers and sweatshirts.

And then you've got Sports Direct selling discounted Sugoi and Castelli stuff now so perhaps the margins for smaller retailers are just too thin. The reduced demand after the lock down boom might be a factor too.

Top Bottom