Wiggle and Chain Reaction gone into administration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
i really don't know where i'm going to shop now. i can see Halfords getting hit for some things.
will have to shop around and maybe even venture into the LBS

Halfords, Decathlon, Tredz, Tweeks, SJS, Y-Frame, Fat Birds, Spa and more that I can't remember but will have used more than once. There are many smaller scale online suppliers that have been around for years and between them cover a lot of stock. After the wiggle/CRC merger I found myself using the alternatives more and more as the wiggle experience became less market leading.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Halfords, Decathlon, Tredz, Tweeks, SJS, Y-Frame, Fat Birds, Spa and more that I can't remember but will have used more than once. There are many smaller scale online suppliers that have been around for years and between them cover a lot of stock. After the wiggle/CRC merger I found myself using the alternatives more and more as the wiggle experience became less market leading.

Merlin, Biketart, Planet-X.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The demise of Wiggle/CRC gives an opportunity for an enterprising person to step into the hole they have left in the market, with the lesson learned that once you stop servicing the needs of your core customers and chase the "Latest fashion brigade" with their expensive toys you are heading for trouble. Sell me a low or mid cost bike where I can chose the components, mix and match parts from different groupsets, decide on the width of my bars and the length of the stem and what way round I want the brake levers and you've got me for life. I was a Ribble customer for decades because they used to do just that.

Unfortunately they are now just "This is what you get, take it or leave it".

i really don't know where i'm going to shop now. i can see Halfords getting hit for some things.
will have to shop around and maybe even venture into the LBS

I would have gone Halfords rather than the LBS but there is no bike parking outside it.

That said the LBS did keep me waiting whilst the two blokes in there had a chat whilst making a tea, if I hadn't have needed what I wanted if have left.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The last of my CRC carcass-pickings arrived today; allowing this exercise to land on a largely positive note.

I now have three nice short-sleeve merino base layers in assorted colours that should be good for summer as long as I can own the "vac-packed sausage meat" look.

I also bought a pair of Nukeproof flat pedals for the MTB; and while they might be entry-level and placcy, I'm so far really impressed by their quality.

As usual there are one or two things I wish I'd bought / bought more of, as well as some I'd not have bothered with in hindsight; but it is what it is. Vaguely tempted to try and return a few items but that in itself could be a bit of a nightmare.

On balance my top pick has to be the long-sleeved Merino base layers; which are really nice against the skin, warm and feel like decent quality; at 40% of their RRP. I suspect these will continue to be available as the DHB brand appears to remain alive; however I doubt they'll ever reach the prices they did and under Ashley's reign they'll probably be made from cat hair inside six months :rolleyes:

Plax

Guru
Argh, just popped in here to change my password and have a quick read, only to find Wiggle is no more. Glad I managed to snaffle a few pairs of cycling shorts a few months ago. I was wondering why they were so cheap. Just tried to log in now and computer says no despite their site still being up.

.co.uk isn’t up but .com is.

Top Bottom