VanMoof - In administration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Several companies will hack your new Bimmer for you.

But youre right - I don't mind paying to rent something perhaps, but I would mightily object to owning something outright but not being able to use all its functions without paying a subscription as well.

"Welcome to your new car Mr Farquhar. Now, if you actually want to drive it that'll be another 10 grand please".

And about technology that requires manufacturers' servers in general. I didn't recognise the name but I recognise the bike, and I recall thinking at the time I read about it that it's barking mad. I wouldn't buy an 'ordinary' e-Bike because they have too many proprietory parts, let alone one with connections to the internet & smart phones. (The problem being that once enough sheep buy this sort of stuff the rest of us get no choice any more, like trying to find a shop that stocks road bikes in a world where everyone buys mountain bikes to ride on the road.)

There seems to be a general move in all sectors to break customers' independence, and keep them tied to the product and dependent on the manufacturer. BMWs that cost £8000 a year subscription to keep the acessories working, Microsoft Office that's subscription based, printer ink that costs £30 a go is tantamount to a subscription too, and for ages now most technology has had custom batteries that cost megabucks instead of industry standards.

I'll let you off calling me a sheep lol :laugh:

My eBike (Raleigh Motus) has several propriety parts my LBS has no chance of replacing with an OEM version like they do on my analogue bikes, and that at some point the electric parts it has will become obsolete. But for now the risk of that vs the convenience it gives me is worth it, I do hope though as it a Bosch thats a smaller risk than with VanMoof. Just as a test I did do a quick google and there might be OEM versions of the battery I could buy, not sure on the motor etc.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Blimey, not very good if they couldn't sustain a profit at the prices they were charging.

They weren't particular expensive for the spec / looks.

They did have a a quality control issue I think though. an ex colleague had one, he and many others had tech issues that whilst sorted out under warranty - the cost of this being borne by VM may be what has caused issues, once the new sales started to slow down.

vickster

Legendary Member
So the security feature / bike tracker will no longer operate ??

Is that the really annoying noise one makes when touched/knocked, if so, good. There’s one parked often in Wimbledon, basically monopolising both sides of a Sheffield stand which are in high demand. Impossible to lock up without shifting or knocking the flipping thing, upon which it growls :rolleyes:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One in 10 bikes went back under warranty.

Apparently much of the bike isn't user serviceable and uses proprietary parts. I doubt that's the case for everything on them. The biggest issue is the bikes operate via a smart phone app to unlock them, so without servers, users will need to download a code.

I did go and test one a few years ago and it was a very good bike to ride, but decided against it mostly due to the above points and the 'automatic' gearbox not suiting my riding style. When doing the research, the amount of faults being reported and only having a single London store (which was sales only, not servicing) was offputting.

They'd only just released the latest vesions as well.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
And about technology that requires manufacturers' servers in general. I didn't recognise the name but I recognise the bike, and I recall thinking at the time I read about it that it's barking mad. I wouldn't buy an 'ordinary' e-Bike because they have too many proprietory parts, let alone one with connections to the internet & smart phones. (The problem being that once enough sheep buy this sort of stuff the rest of us get no choice any more, like trying to find a shop that stocks road bikes in a world where everyone buys mountain bikes to ride on the road.)

There seems to be a general move in all sectors to break customers' independence, and keep them tied to the product and dependent on the manufacturer. BMWs that cost £8000 a year subscription to keep the acessories working, Microsoft Office that's subscription based, printer ink that costs £30 a go is tantamount to a subscription too, and for ages now most technology has had custom batteries that cost megabucks instead of industry standards.

This in spades. I fret a little about support for my 5yr old cycling computer being discontinued; to have total reliance on such tech in something so large, expensive and important seems absolutely ridiculous.

I understand that these are not "normal" bikes and as such their electric nature and clean design requires some sort of discrete electronic control, however it seems the way this has been implemented (purely through the use of a phone app) has the potential (and indeed has turned out) to be highly problematic.

This bike is a perfect example of why I avoid "smart" devices like the plague. Best case the manufacturers are going to withdraw support at some point because of "legitimate" business reasons; worst case the'll use their control as leverage to force obsolescene, gouge you on price or as we've seen here - go bust leaving all their owners in the sh*t. Why willingly surrender your agency in handing such control over your possessions to a third party?

It seems these bikes are often used for utility so this development has doubtless left many people high and dry, suddently with no ability to use a mode of transport they'd come to rely on, through no fault of their own.

What an absurd, ridiculous world we find ourselves in - where something as fundamentally mechanical and basic as a bicycle becomes an inert brick because it will no longer communicate with your bloody smart phone.

I think I'll be treating my faithful, reliable, independent dumb steel bikes to some extra care and appreciation this weekend...

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I must say I didn't think these bikes were so techy, when I saw them in Amsterdam. Just looked like an electric assist (or not with some models) with a nexus type gears. Would have been so much better that way. They didn't look that spendy either

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So the security feature / bike tracker will no longer operate ??

There are now hacks from another company if you've got a current acount with VanMoof and download the 'key code'. You'll then need the third party app to generate the random key code once you've got your original code, apparently.

presta

Guru
This in spades. I fret a little about support for my 5yr old cycling computer being discontinued; to have total reliance on such tech in something so large, expensive and important seems absolutely ridiculous.

I have a Humax PVR which I regard as nearly new (just under 5 years old), and the ITV catchup on that doesn't work any more because ITV saw fit not to make their latest software upgrade compatible with it.

It's also got knackered buttons on the handset, I reckon rubber buttons must be the most unreliable components in the whole electronics industry, they even make valves look reliable.

Top Bottom