Mince pies and cold turkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
Personally, I think that turkey is vastly over-rated. Even the super dooper organic free range bronze ones that my mum buys...

I did goose last year and much preferred it - loads more flavour. Plus it gave me 6 months supply of fat for roast potatoes. Yummy.

I'd love to try a goose one year, but I hear it's very fatty to cook, and liable to leave a lot of grease behind, so I think it'll have to be when I'm using my own kitchen and not someone else's (some might say the opposite!). We're all going to Mum's this year, and she's already fretting about getting it all right - although really, we're a laid back lot and as long as we've got something to eat, Oli to play with and good conversation we're happy. I mean we're not like one of those families where one side never speaks to the other after they didn't buy any walnuts in 1976...

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The last three Christmases I have had Christmas lunch cooked by my sister-in-law, and she always chose turkey. This year, I will be having Christmas Day in my own house ;):wahhey::angry::wacko::cheers:- for the first time in about ten years. So it is Turkey. :sad:

I am intending to make my own mince pies, so that I eat less of them, but can someone tell me if that is an erroneous assumption. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Speicher said:
I am intending to make my own mince pies, so that I eat less of them, but can someone tell me if that is an erroneous assumption. :biggrin:

Making assumptions on the standards of your cooking here... that is erroneous.... there is less of that stodgy pastry to feel like a lead balloon/gluing up your mouth, so you can fit more in actually. (Is that good or bad?:biggrin:)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:

Hmmm. If you make them, I doubt you'll make less than a dozen, if you buy them, you can limit yourself to buying 6... So not sure the logic works...
:biggrin:

U

User482

Arch said:
I'd love to try a goose one year, but I hear it's very fatty to cook, and liable to leave a lot of grease behind, so I think it'll have to be when I'm using my own kitchen and not someone else's (some might say the opposite!). We're all going to Mum's this year, and she's already fretting about getting it all right - although really, we're a laid back lot and as long as we've got something to eat, Oli to play with and good conversation we're happy. I mean we're not like one of those families where one side never speaks to the other after they didn't buy any walnuts in 1976...

What you need to do is remove the pads of fat before you cook it, and make sure you use a trivet. Then you can tip off the fat once or twice as it runs into the bottom of the pan, and use it for the spuds. You'll have loads left over that can be frozen until needed. The meat wasn't fatty at all...

Top Bottom