Mince pies and cold turkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mmmmmm.......pie.

Put the turkey in a pie as well. You can never have enough pie.

Examines waistline. Well, err, perhaps you can. Piemaster slinks off to chants of "Who ate all the pies?"

Willow

Butter in mince pies, homemade mincemeat (easy) delicious. I have to confess though I haven't made them for a couple of years Since hubby left I have been lazy. Used to make my cake and puddings in October, and loads of mince pies for the freezer.

Last year I had a crown and actually was a bit disappointed with it so am undecided this year.

My fav is turkey and stuffing sandwiches - yum.

Maz

Guru
I used to think that mincemeat was made with minced meat. At first I refused to eat a mince pie at Jr school despite the teachers telling me mincemeat was fruit. Then I ate it and it were delicious.;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Speicher said:
HHmmm, regular posters on here? um three hundred?

at a mpps of 0.0023 that would take ummm, help me out here ...:rolleyes:

Easy, loads :thumbsup: :biggrin:

As for pastry, I got this recipe from a chef on a fish-keeping forum a few Years ago.
I've made mine every Year with this recipe now, they're extremely good, and it's quite quick and easy :tongue:

500g Plain flour
250g Butter
170g Icing sugar
2 Whole eggs
2 Egg yolks

Method:-
Mix the sieved flour, icing sugar and butter together gently until it forms a sand like texture.
Blend the whole eggs and the egg yolks together.
Add the eggs to the flour and mix in gently (do not overwork the pastry).
wrap it in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

when rolling the pastry out be gentle with it or you will have a very hard pastry

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maz said:
I used to think that mincemeat was made with minced meat. At first I refused to eat a mince pie at Jr school despite the teachers telling me mincemeat was fruit. Then I ate it and it were delicious.:rolleyes:

Hmm... I remember a time when we set up some friends... we cooked two batches of "mince" pies, one of each. Then gave them the minced meat variety and tucked into the sweet variety:evil: their faces was worth the effort:biggrin:.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you Panter, I have put icing sugar on my shopping list, and cinnamon, and nuts, (chopped hazelnuts).

I take your point about being gentle with the pastry. Perhaps that is where I have gone wrong in the past.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
nobody here apart from me actually likes anything that remotely represents traditional English christmas fayre...turkey, mince pies etc...I end up being the only one eating them

Arch

Married to Night Train
And remember, once you've baked them, and you come to reheat them for Christmas tea time, lever the lid up, insert a sliver or two of a cheese like Wensleydale, replace lid and let the cheese melt in...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
And remember, once you've baked them, and you come to reheat them for Christmas tea time, lever the lid up, insert a sliver or two of a cheese like Wensleydale, replace lid and let the cheese melt in...
No, that's just gross. It has to be brandy butter :laugh:

U

User482

Personally, I think that turkey is vastly over-rated. Even the super dooper organic free range bronze ones that my mum buys...

I did goose last year and much preferred it - loads more flavour. Plus it gave me 6 months supply of fat for roast potatoes. Yummy.

Top Bottom