Too Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think over the many years of cycle commuting I've got used to the cold weather. As long as I'm wrapped up warm enough with the right clothing then I'm ok.
Some of my favourite cycling is on cold, chilly, sunny, dry winter days.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Too cold...or too old? At one time I used to ride whatever the weather, and find cold weather bracing. Lately, overcoming the inertia and getting out there has taken more effort when it's like this. After the first mile or so you warm up, if you're well wrapped, and it's ok after that. It's getting over that psychological barrier that's the hard part.

Keeping my body warm I can manage but its a safety issue. I wanted to ride Saturday morning but we had a heavy frost and I'm sure I would have come off my bike within 1/2 mile of my house as it was very icy/slippery - I nearly fell over just walking out in the morning. I went out Sunday instead as it had rained overnight and the ground was wet but not frozen.

Yes I could get some tyres that alleviate this but the effort/expense vs lost rides is not worth it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, my interest in cycling drops right off if it goes below 5deg esp if there’s a cold wind like now and/or it’s dark and/or it’s raining. Forget it if there’s any risk of ice/frost!

I don’t commute now (well a bit with the Brompton if not not too cold/wet/dark).

I’ve done about 25 miles this year, weekend looks a bit better so will get out.
I’ve been swimming and to gym though

SuffolkBlue

Not too worried about the cold when it is reasonably dry but being a "leisure cyclist" in a rural area I am lucky that I can stick to the country lanes but they are still flooded (maybe partially solid today) at the moment so that is what is currently putting me off.

pawl

Legendary Member
Probably age related but I find it can be a bit too cold for me. Just now the outside temperature is minus 2.1C. Two or three years ago I did cope with cold ok but not now.

Yes I think it’s age related.I used to go fishing and as long as the canal or river wasn’t frozen it wouldn’t put me of .only problem was that in temperatures of 1c or below the line would freeze to the rod rings.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I really seem to feel the cold and wouldn't consider a leisure ride when it's like this.. however a 25 min drive and 35 mins on the bike to get to work remains far preferable to an hour (or more like two currently) losing my sh*t in traffic.

Since the past few days have been dry (aside from a dusting of snow last night) and ice-free it's been nice to get out once warmed up :smile:

si_c

Guru
As long as your extremities are sufficiently insulated I find riding in the cold to be fine. A big deal for me is keeping hands, feet and ears warm - so shoe covers make a difference in cold weather even if it's not wet, as do decent socks (merino usually). Decent gloves (the best cold weather ones I have were from Aldi), and a buff for the neck and ears. Winter Bibs also help a lot as do arm warmers and decent full length jerseys. If I don't keep my legs and arms warm then I find my feet and hands get cold very quickly.

Once you're riding you'll be keeping yourself warm anyway. I'll happily ride in sub-zero weather.

Top Bottom