Too Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
As long as your extremities are sufficiently insulated I find riding in the cold to be fine. A big deal for me is keeping hands, feet and ears warm - so shoe covers make a difference in cold weather even if it's not wet, as do decent socks (merino usually). Decent gloves (the best cold weather ones I have were from Aldi), and a buff for the neck and ears. Winter Bibs also help a lot as do arm warmers and decent full length jerseys. If I don't keep my legs and arms warm then I find my feet and hands get cold very quickly.

Once you're riding you'll be keeping yourself warm anyway. I'll happily ride in sub-zero weather.

I hate cycling when I need to dress in enough clothing to keep warm and up looking like the Michelin man.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
V.cold is bad News here. Even walking at the weekends on the local lanes we slipped on black ice in several locations.

Not worth risking cycling, although we did see cyclists out and about.

si_c

Guru
I hate cycling when I need to dress in enough clothing to keep warm and up looking like the Michelin man.

True, you don't need to overdress, just enough to ensure you stay warm. I find a merino base layer and a decent long sleeve jersey sufficient - add a gilet if windy. For me it's ensuring my hands and feet don't get too cold.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
This was the weather this morning on my commute to work, lovely Winters day and dry for a change. It's a dry Easterly air stream, so whilst bitterly cold, there's generally no ice around. Luckily Whilst my commute is fairly short, I'd still be up for a longer leisure ride in this conditions if I wasn't working. Speaking of working, I also work outdoors, so it's normal for me to spend at least 8 or 9 hours outside in these conditions.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 09.39.58.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Does anyone else just find it too cold for going out on their bike at the moment? It's 1 degree C here this morning and I just cant cope with it as when your on the bike it takes it down lower than that. I don't mind it a bit warmer but not when its this bad.

Nope. I gotta go out for a medical appointment later, won't be back until this evening. I'll wrap up properly, be fine.

It's the UK. Its always too hot, cold, windy, wet, icy, flooded, etc. If I let the weather dictate my life I'd never go out.

presta

Guru
I just kept piling the clothes on until it wasn't too cold. I don't know what the lowest temperature was, but during the 2009/10 winter I was filling my water bottles from the kettle, and coming home with them frozen. When the roads were iced I kept to the ones that were gritted, and cleared by the passage of the traffic.

Dadam

Commuting I don't mind the cold as it's only 15-20 mins, and is preferable to spending 30 mins being warm and comfortable but stuck in traffic. I find it wakes me up. But for a leisure ride I'd want to be out at least an hour to make it worthwhile and I often just think nah, too cold.

presta

Guru
It's the UK. Its always too hot, cold, windy, wet, icy, flooded, etc. If I let the weather dictate my life I'd never go out.

This. Particularly if you're touring. You can't ring up God and book a fortnight's fine weather, you have to take what you're given and like it or lump it. In fact that's the case with most problems on tour, once you're committed, and miles from anywhere you have to chew what you've bitten off, you can't just say "Beam me up Scotty, I don't want to play this game any more".

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I enjoy cycling in the cold, particularly off road on the MTB if it's actually snowy. And I commute all through winter, which whilst Baltic this morning was very enjoyable just before dawn under a clear sky with Venus rising.

But I wouldn't enjoy long rides in the cold. I just get too clammy from the layers needed to keep warm. 3-4 hours is about my limit, and normally much less than that.

Quality clothing is essential.

Top Bottom