Too Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does anyone else just find it too cold for going out on their bike at the moment? It's 1 degree C here this morning and I just cant cope with it as when your on the bike it takes it down lower than that. I don't mind it a bit warmer but not when its this bad.

It's not cold. Correct clothing and it's great - dry, crisp, bright. Much better than the last six months of rain.
Keeping my body warm I can manage but its a safety issue. I wanted to ride Saturday morning but we had a heavy frost and I'm sure I would have come off my bike within 1/2 mile of my house as it was very icy/slippery - I nearly fell over just walking out in the morning. I went out Sunday instead as it had rained overnight and the ground was wet but not frozen.

Yes I could get some tyres that alleviate this but the effort/expense vs lost rides is not worth it.

Tyres, not that expensive.

fossyant

How do you stop your glasses misting up? I find this is a big problem when wearing a buff in cold weather. Breath comes out under the buff and onto the lenses. I usually have to choose between aching face and being able to see well.

Apply washing up liquid to the lenses (both sides - or in my case all four sides as I use RX inserts) and rinse off. Lasts a week or so.

fossyant

Since the great freeze of 2010, I saw the forecast, and ordered studded tyres. Next day it snowed very heavily and I took the MTB to work on normal knobblies. My delivery was stuck in the depot, so I arranged to drive up in the evening to collect my tyres. Next day riding on studded tyres - about three weeks that icy snow lasted!

A few years ago, I also invested in some bonkers Ice Spiker Pro tyres with over 400 spikes in for the full suspension - my what a laugh they are.

The tyres last really well.

Since I'm now back commuting on the old MTB, I built new commute wheels for it with slicks, and then if it's getting cold like now, I just switch in the old wheels with the studs. Takes two minutes. If I wake up and it's warm, I'll switch back rather than putting up with the slow spikes all winter. Over 10 miles they are about 3-5 minutes slower.

Last edited:

Bristolian

I guess I'm like many people, as you get older the cold feels colder. I got all dressed up this morning for a ride but when I went outside it felt about 10 below :cold: - it was actually +1C - so I opted for a session on the turbo trainer instead. Even then my cold toes were what made me stop and I was wearing my Sealskinz overshoes :eek:

fossyant

Clothing choice is the most important. My commute this morning. Shorts with thermal bibs over the top (they have a windproof layer over the thighs). Top was a base layer, and a thermal BTwin jacket. I only wore a thin summer jersey over the top as the BTwin jacket is black, and I don't like being in all black for the commute. Thick gloves, thermal skul cap, and most importantly, winter boots.

I can't say how good Winter Boots are vs shoes and overshoes.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not too bothered by cold weather riding if it wasn't for the Reynaud's. No matter what I try my fingers are in agony unless I wear gloves so thick it makes gear changes difficult. Lobster gloves are best for me but even they don't give enough protection for longer rides in cold winds.

I also get terrible Raynauds.

Heated gloves are a miracle cure.

Chislenko

Veteran
Not too bothered by cold weather riding if it wasn't for the Reynaud's. No matter what I try my fingers are in agony unless I wear gloves so thick it makes gear changes difficult. Lobster gloves are best for me but even they don't give enough protection for longer rides in cold winds.

Nail on head there Rusty re changing gear. I always use the flat bar bike in really cold weather as I find the gears easier than drop bar levers. With thick gloves on I find it very difficult to find the smaller lever on a drop bar STI.

Had honestly never heard of Reynauds but I continually lose feeling in two of the fingers on my right hand so perhaps it is something I may suffer with.

Top Bottom