Too Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I remember that!
It was more than a year or two back though, it must have been 2018 - I was still at the Exhibition Centre.
I remember popping into the local shop before riding to work, the shopkeeper said it was -8.
Of course I still rode to work, on my ice bike.
I don't generally feel cold on the bike, because my bikes are heavy, I don't wear thin cycling gear or cycling shoes.
I wear general outdoor clothing, fleeces and similar, topped up with an Altura Night Vision jacket, a wool beanie, a buff and gloves.
The only times I felt cold in he cold lol, was when in a beginners group, lots of starting and stopping, the pace slower than I would have liked.
Of course you are spot on Pat, and I kind of thought that as I typed it, but nobody counts the covid years anyway. :laugh:
I remember it being quite safe on the roads I was using and I actually enjoyed the challenge of commuting in that weather. :okay:

I used to be OK in the cold - with the right clothes it was OK
and if my legs got cold then I just pedal harder

problem now is that the cold air in my lungs stops me breathing properly - I have mild asthma and it tends to be worst when I start any form of exercise

so I can;t go out on my bike if it is cold - by which I mean 4 degrees of less

and anyway - the eye rolling from my wife is a problem when I try - or if I sneak out then when I get back!

Chislenko

Veteran
The obvious advantage of cycling on a cold day is that there are a lot less other cyclists about so a lot less head nodding and Hitler salutes 😊

mustang1

Guru
I've been e-bike commuting lately and for that, it's jeans and coat (no sweat, no shower, super convenient) so I'm not feeling it as much as when riding with "cycling kit" on.

I have got the cycling kit though and use it on road and off road adventures but for the daily commute, I find putting on all those layers of bike-specific clothes to be a faff.

But to answer @Kingfisher101 's question, no I don't mind it and along with @Alex321 , don't venture out when there is black ice risk.

Drago

Legendary Member
I venture out in icy conditions. If I don't practice the skills, then I wont have the skills to save me if I unexpectedly hit ice in a shaded microclimate on an otherwise rideable day.

I used to switch to my training shoes in winter because they were a loose enough fit to leave room for an additional pair of thick woolly walking socks.

My riding shoes are quite cool - must allow for air circulation or something

but my wife got me some neoprene overshoes for Christmas a while ago - they make then much warmer and stop them getting col and wet

sweaty and wet - but not cold and wet!!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I popped out today for a few miles to pick up some bike bits. I came back over the Quantocks and didn't find the cold too bad. The ice patches were easily seen against the mostly dry roads.

I wore a balaclava and my usual woolly hat, and added a gilet to my usual winter gear.

The big problem was that my planned coffee stop was closed. That's serious.

Exlaser2

Veteran
I remember that!
It was more than a year or two back though, it must have been 2018 - I was still at the Exhibition Centre.
I remember popping into the local shop before riding to work, the shopkeeper said it was -8.
Of course I still rode to work, on my ice bike.
I don't generally feel cold on the bike, because my bikes are heavy, I don't wear thin cycling gear or cycling shoes.
I wear general outdoor clothing, fleeces and similar, topped up with an Altura Night Vision jacket, a wool beanie, a buff and gloves.
The only times I felt cold in he cold lol, was when in a beginners group, lots of starting and stopping, the pace slower than I would have liked.

Snap. I commuted to work for 30 years ( coming home at 3am in the morning ) on old bikes dressed in similar clothes and most importantly shoe covers and skiing mittens and never really felt the cold unless it got below -10 ( -15 was a record low for me ) .
But when I am in proper cycling kit, once the temp drops to 0 C my bike and me stay inside as I just cannot get warm . What ever cycling kit I wear, I get cold hands and feet which takes all the fun out of cycling 😀.

Yup - I find that cold hands are the worst
the air flow just means they can;t warm up again
I always go for thick gloves at the slightest hint of cold air
even been know to ride in thick gloves, t-shirt and shorts - I can always take the gloves off later if I need to - warming my hands up is more difficult!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Four layers last night for a 35k pubrun. It was icy in places - more so on the way home. Clothing layers, gloves, overshoes and a hill keep me at an acceptable temperature.

All uphill

Still rolling along
But when I am in proper cycling kit, once the temp drops to 0 C my bike and me stay inside as I just cannot get warm . What ever cycling kit I wear, I get cold hands and feet which takes all the fun out of cycling 😀.
Proper cycling kit?

Sounds to me more like wrong cycling kit for the conditions.

Top Bottom