Too Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you stop your glasses misting up? I find this is a big problem when wearing a buff in cold weather. Breath comes out under the buff and onto the lenses. I usually have to choose between aching face and being able to see well.

I've never been able to stop that, I swapped to contact lenses for riding some time ago.

Drago

Legendary Member
How do you stop your glasses misting up? I find this is a big problem when wearing a buff in cold weather. Breath comes out under the buff and onto the lenses. I usually have to choose between aching face and being able to see well.

I don't have a problem outdoors with it, but do struggle indoors when sweating away while playing a gig.

Dadam

I've never been able to stop that, I swapped to contact lenses for riding some time ago.

Unfortunately a no go for me. I do wear contacts for some sports and could probably mitigate not being able to see close stuff by varifocal contacts but in this weather the eyes would water so badly it would be as bad as the misting.

pawl

Legendary Member

When I motorcycled my visor would mist up.
I used an ant mist spray Sorry I can’t remember the brand name.I have also used washing up liquid Just a few drops and polished with a tissue was affective in preventing misting.

Chislenko

Veteran
Been out this morning 1 degree apparently. Once you have been riding for a few minutes you soon warm up.

Quite a cold wind this morning but the only part of me that felt cold were my fingertips, (bit of arthritis) but even that passed after a while.

My dress code for the winter is bib tights, a normal cycling jersey and a thin jacket. I don't bother with base layers etc as I find, personally, I get too hot.

Balaclava under my helmet, thin layer gloves with proper gloves over them. For my feet, three pairs of socks.

NB. The three pair of socks came about by accident as I ordered some cycling shoes and they were too big so I turned them into my winter shoes and they accommodate the three socks!

I am one of the "older generation" so it is possible to get out there.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I popped out this morning and cycled about 3 miles. The roads around here are surprisingly dry so I had no problems.

Someone had driven their car into the lights at a pedestrian crossing. Apparently the driver was dazzled by the sun, but didn't see the need to slow or stop. :wacko:

I'm planning a 35 mile ride tomorrow.

si_c

Guru
Just done a run to the shops for cat litter and lunch (being careful to avoid mixing the two) and it was 1°C outside, jeans, hoody, gloves and a bobble hat were more than enough for the ~3mi or so.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My favourite cycling conditions are when it is cold, dry and sunny. Having said that, I don't want ice, and I've just finished a ride with no feeling left in my toes. It was between 2 and 3 degrees C today. I think about 5 or 6 would be just about perfect for me.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I had a very pleasant ride this morning. Only bit of me that got nippy was my toes. It was far colder (or felt it) walking to Tesco's at midday. But I wouldn't want to go out if there was ice about.

Slick

Guru
I don't particularly mind the cold, but I'm not daft, if there’s a serious risk of ice, then I give it a miss.

I no longer commute as I WFH, but the coldest I remember was -8 a year or two back and it was nearly all on main roads, so minimal risk of ice.

I can still get caught out from time to time, as even my usual 50k Sunday loop had to be rejigged as one road was just closed due to ice, instead of just treating it.

Also, this won't be an option for some, but I like to grow a beard over the festive break, as it keeps the face toasty in February when the real cold snap hits. :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I no longer commute as I WFH, but the coldest I remember was -8 a year or two back and it was nearly all on main roads, so minimal risk of ice.
I remember that!
It was more than a year or two back though, it must have been 2018 - I was still at the Exhibition Centre.
I remember popping into the local shop before riding to work, the shopkeeper said it was -8.
Of course I still rode to work, on my ice bike.
I don't generally feel cold on the bike, because my bikes are heavy, I don't wear thin cycling gear or cycling shoes.
I wear general outdoor clothing, fleeces and similar, topped up with an Altura Night Vision jacket, a wool beanie, a buff and gloves.
The only times I felt cold in he cold lol, was when in a beginners group, lots of starting and stopping, the pace slower than I would have liked.

Top Bottom