"Mind The Gap!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't like the thought of having that strapped to my chopper.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not exactly the most informative piece from the BBC... we know he strapped on the device, and we know he went for a ride.
But what happened BBC? Did he get more room? Abuse for "blocking the road?" A combination? I'm genuinely interested now.....

But what's that you say? You couldn't actually be arsed with that part? Oh. Well thanks for trying. You needn't have bothered, because the bit you missed is actually the really important bit.

Sharky

Guru
The test is a bit flawed. If you make the bike wider by adding a reflector stick, then cars will have to give more adequate clearance when overtaking. So they need to allow an extra 1.5 metres to allow for the cyclist to make deviations for pot holes etc. So the refector stick needs to be 3 metres in length.

But wait, the car still has to give adequate clearance to pass the now 3 metre stick and again he should allow 1.5 metres, so to check that there is sufficient clearance, the stick needs extending by 1.5 metres, making it now 4.5 metres.

But wait .......

And of course there needs to be a similar measure stick on the left hand side to ensure that the cyclist gives sufficient clearance when over taking parked cars. This should also be xx.x metres

There was akin to this in the 80's or 90's albeit much shorter. A white arm with a round reflector at the end and thing was attached to the rear pannier rail. Have something protruding like this and the car drivers will stay clear in case their precious, polluting, expensive tin box gets marked.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Did you all think that he was offering this as serious advice? It was clearly a joke, but worth noting that the 2 vehicles video'd from behind the bike didn't try a close pass!

AndyRM

XOXO
Loudly?

"slap slap slap slap slap slap"

A louder version of this!

FNB8IGTFITUPT2L.LARGE.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
There was akin to this in the 80's or 90's albeit much shorter. A white arm with a round reflector at the end and thing was attached to the rear pannier rail. Have something protruding like this and the car drivers will stay clear in case their precious, polluting, expensive tin box gets marked.

I fitted one briefly in the mid 80's (I think). It attached to the seat stay, so you could bring it more into the motorists line of sight and it had a swivel pin at the bike connector, so that if hit, you didn't get taken out. IIRC motorists did give me a wider berth.

Top Bottom