mini dv md80 camera...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kewb

ian turner said:
Of course. You could reformat to various formats that support larger files.
But then it wouldn't work in the camera would it :smile:

claim is -
Supplied with a 2gb microSD card, which is enough to record up to 90 mins of high quality footage.
thats just wrong i got 20 mins surely its the format 2gig on my other digital cam gives an hour at least of video (1hour twenty mins exactly )
somethings not right with codec or format or resolution or all three :sad:

im going to look around for a firmware alternative for cam i think then do a re format if possible ,
if i put a 4gig card in i will get 40mins an 8gig card 80 mins split in two hmm
ok it was cheap and im not complaining but maybe this can be fixed if i put 4gig in my digital can i would get as many hours of video at same resolution .

kewb

http://electroflip.com/shopexd.asp?id=114
this the exact i have
quote -
2GB Memory Included - which will give you almost 2 full hours of recording, the MD80 has a maximum capacity of 8GB and can easily be upgraded

i couldnt get 2hrs with a 8gig card ?

theres reviewers saying they are taking 1hour vids + yet im only getting 20mins
thats just wrong ,
i used card via an adapter in canon cam and got much longer than in md80
i can only think its the fat32 format to blame unless ??? , i set time stamp to funny time
i wonder if thats interfering ?,
oh its late im getting tired and this is getting ridiculous lol .

g00se

Veteran
kewb said:
http://electroflip.com/shopexd.asp?id=114
this the exact i have
quote -
2GB Memory Included - which will give you almost 2 full hours of recording, the MD80 has a maximum capacity of 8GB and can easily be upgraded

i couldnt get 2hrs with a 8gig card ?

theres reviewers saying they are taking 1hour vids + yet im only getting 20mins
thats just wrong ,
i used card via an adapter in canon cam and got much longer than in md80
i can only think its the fat32 format to blame unless ??? , i set time stamp to funny time
i wonder if thats interfering ?,
oh its late im getting tired and this is getting ridiculous lol .

Sorry - a bit of a mix up going on here. There are three cameras like this.

There is the muvi (metal with slider swithes).

There is the MD80 OEM version (sometimes branded from the manufacturer AEE) which is the Muvi but unbranded.

And there is the Chinese clone MD80 which is plastic with push switches.

It's the Chinese clone that has shorter recording times - as it doesn't seem to be able to compress the files on the fly as well as the proper ones.

Also, the Chinese copy has a timestap you can't remove. With the 'proper' one, I'm not sure, but most of the clips I've seem from them don't have time stamps - so either it doesn't have that facility or it can be turned on/off.

The picture in the link is for an OEM version (slider switches).

quote from memorybits description of their clone "Record up to 10 minutes of video per 1GB to a removable Micro SD Card, up to 16GB."
Which matches your estimates.
FAT32 dictates the maximum size of card (larger than any current flash cards), maximum filesize (4gb) and maximum numbers of files (128 in the root directory). As g00se said it's the compression methods applied that are the problem.
Any other device will use FAT32 anyway.
You'll just have to fork out £50 for the muvi if you want better.

Armegatron

kewb said:
by the time i buy a 16gig card i couldve bought a muvi ,
pity its a neat cam
16 gig would be overkill anyway. I get just over 4GB before the battery dies, which is about an hour or so of recording. I use an 8GB card though to cover it if it goes over 4GB.

I am doing the same battery mod as chillyuk though, so should be able to get a few hours out of it.

My Muvi gets about an hour on a full charge, just a touch over 2GB.

Would just over 4gb be just under 4gb ? As otherwise it's going to stop recording as you'll have exceeded the maximum file size. (Do not confuse GB on computers generally speaking with the manufacturers trying to overstate the size of their storage capacities)

Armegatron

ian turner said:
Would just over 4gb be just under 4gb ? As otherwise it's going to stop recording as you'll have exceeded the maximum file size. (Do not confuse GB on computers generally speaking with the manufacturers trying to overstate the size of their storage capacities)

Over 4GB as separate files. I stop and start recording at different legs of the journey.

Armegatron

chillyuk said:
Further to my playing:

I have ordered one of these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300367885744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It is a compromise between longer recording time and the time taken to recharge the battery. I am hoping for between 3 and 4 hours which is about the longest I ride anyway, and my 8gb card will probably fill up before the battery dies. I did think about, and haven't yet discarded the idea, of a simple AA similar type of 3.7v cell as they do those with fairly high mAh ratings, and it would be easy to fasten in one of the ventilation slots on the helmet.

There are people who make custom sized batteries. I haven't looked into the cost, but for a small number it would probably be cheaper to buy a decent camera!!

I got impatient waiting for the battery :tongue: (I ordered it yesterday - very impatient). Connected it up to 3x 850mAh AAA cells and looking hopeful :thumbsup:
I forgot I had them, I also have some 1000mAh ones. Using some servo plugs I had spare as the jack

Armegatron

Update:

1hr 30mins at least from the 850mAh AAA cells. They will probably go another few hours but Im off to bed :ohmy: The 1.5hr file has took 2.11GB, although Im aware the times do vary when moving pictures are being captured in daylight.

I will use the 850mAh tomorrow without topping up the charge to see how long they go for.

kewb

had a techy friend to give my cam the once over and the verdict isnt good ,
cant change memory issue .

looking for an alternative that wont break the bank .

garyhgaryh

I have the keychain camera I use for biking and it takes about an hour worth of video. One good thing about this camera is that it saves the file every 30 minutes so you can keep taping as long as you have power. The most you can lose is about 29 miinutes (but you can recover it if you're able to pull off a file that is not closed properly which I have done by updating the header of the avi file).

So i tried putting an external battery on the unit and decided to buy an md80 because you can run off a usb external battery instead since it would involve some surgery on my keychain camera to get an ext battery to work. And getting the md80 would only involve holding down the record button as you insert the usb battery source.

I got the md80 yesterday and after reading this forum, I find out it only records 4GB and then stops! That' sucks! Now I'll have to figure out a way to get the keychain camera to work with an ext battery.
Gary