mini dv md80 camera...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kewb

Manonabike said:
These cams use lithium battery so no memory effect on those.

must be either a duff battery or shorting somewhere , might be cheaper and less hassle to replace than fix if its a copy .
pity cause those cams look vg i think id still get one myself for the price of a chinese carry out meal .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had both on charge for 12 hours and still not showing a full battery on either .

Also having to reset it some times as they do not switch off :sad:.

Has anyone got a proper muvi ?

I am trying to compare ,if i need to buy a new clone every month i might as well go whole hog and get a "proper " one .

C

chillyuk

I am sure someone else has done this but just in case I have just had a look at the battery in my clone. It is a 3.7v 230mAh job and it's dimensions are 35.2mm x 15mm x 5.8mm. I have a spare camera that only runs for about 40 minutes so I am going to remove the battery and use an external one if I can't find a battery to fit inside. It only needs some thin wire and a miniature two way connector from Maplin.

Armegatron

chillyuk said:
I am sure someone else has done this but just in case I have just had a look at the battery in my clone. It is a 3.7v 230mAh job and it's dimensions are 35.2mm x 15mm x 5.8mm. I have a spare camera that only runs for about 40 minutes so I am going to remove the battery and use an external one if I can't find a battery to fit inside. It only needs some thin wire and a miniature two way connector from Maplin.

Keep me informed. I was thinking of doing this if my clone started playing up. I was going to use something like a phone battery or similar 3.7v battery.

kewb

still not recieved clone
from hong kong ,it has been posted so surely its in uk by now lol .

C

chillyuk

mike.pembo said:
Keep me informed. I was thinking of doing this if my clone started playing up. I was going to use something like a phone battery or similar 3.7v battery.

Further to my playing:

I have ordered one of these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300367885744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It is a compromise between longer recording time and the time taken to recharge the battery. I am hoping for between 3 and 4 hours which is about the longest I ride anyway, and my 8gb card will probably fill up before the battery dies. I did think about, and haven't yet discarded the idea, of a simple AA similar type of 3.7v cell as they do those with fairly high mAh ratings, and it would be easy to fasten in one of the ventilation slots on the helmet.

There are people who make custom sized batteries. I haven't looked into the cost, but for a small number it would probably be cheaper to buy a decent camera!!

TWBNK

I got my clone yesterday and was annoyed to find that the thing wouldn't work with the 8GB micro sdhc card that I bought for it, but it worked with a 2GB.

After some fiddling and the addition of three layers of sellotape to the far end of the contact side of the sd card it now fits, is recognised by the device and I can record onto it.

Only thing is with all the messing the battery ran out after 5 minutes once I got the card working.

C

chillyuk

cyberknight said:
Keep me posted on this !

Opened one of mine up and its is a 3.7 v 230mAH battery.

Will a higher mAH battery fry it or not?

Does not seem to be charging at all
Found this ........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-3-7V-230mAh-65358-01-Plantronics-CS60-CS50-/280486385813

How would you charge the battery you ordered?

A higher mAh battery will not fry the camera. The camera will only draw from the battery the current it requires to operate. I would guess they operate at about 100mA, giving 2 hours from a 230mAh battery (theoretically of course, I know most don't achieve this). I decided to fit a higher capacity battery to extend my operating life between charges. As for charging. I tend not to remove the camera from my helmet, I just plug in the charger. I see no reason why things should change, it will just take considerably longer to charge. I will be removing the internal battery completely. If the camera charger takes too long I will use a mobile phone charger suitably terminated with a plug to suit however I terminate the battery. I intend using a plug and socket to connect the battery to the camera.

Of course, none of this may actually work in practice, but the cameras and batteries are cheap enough to have a play around and take a chance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
chillyuk said:

Mine only worked for about 40 mins anyway before they all packed up

C

chillyuk

cyberknight said:
Mine only worked for about 40 mins anyway before they all packed up

Are you saying they only worked for 40 minutes on the original battery or have you already tried the external battery route?