mini dv md80 camera...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimtylee

battery

No the battery goes flat, i try after it shuts down wiping the card...
and then try switching on again blue light comes on for a second then goes out...........will only switch on again after a short charge up......
cheers Jim..........

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to have a similar problem, rectified it by charging via the usb port at the back of the pc for me .

jimtylee

battery

I've noticed the case gets quite warm whilst charging.....battery heating up ???? does your get warm.....battery that is.
Jim.............

jimtylee

wow wow

You wont believe it, i got 44 minutes of recording earlier...thats on the 2 gig card..............wonder whats going on........have ordered a 4 gig card today.........£8 pounds on the net..............must say when it is working the quality of the video is very good.........wonder how much the original mini dv is, think someone said about 60 pounds...........
Jim.............

rochey

Hello all, i only made an account to hopefully help others who are having problems. I have the MD90 and the red and blue light were on constantly, i left it charging for 15 hours and nothing happened, light stayed on.

I tried resoldering the battery like suggested on another forum, to no avail.

However, whilst resoldering, i found that the camera lense is mounted on a block that plugs into the circuit board. My lense had come loose so i think the lights were just to show that there was an error. I slotted the lense back in and the camera works perfectly. Make sure you slot it in the correct way around as it is accepted both ways. Or you might, as in my case, have the blue light just staying on, with the camera still locked up.

Hopefully my experience will help someone!

Thanks to cyberknight for his break down of what the lights mean, was a very helpful guide!

Thanks all!

Rev_JD

Well hello yall, I got one of there little things too. Came across this forum tryin to figure out a way to remove the stupid date/time without editing. So far that looks to be the only way.

Have not had a chance to take it out yet. When I got it I plugged it into the wall charger it came with for 2 days. The charger said it was full but it never charged, finially plugged it into a USB port and it charged. Could of used it today when we were on the back trails. DId have the Tony Hawk helmet cams (2 for the same price as this thing :biggrin:).

JD

Armegatron

quidditys_shore said:
bought one of these clones last night as a buy it now (lots of others!) for £9.31 delivered :smile:

cant grumble at that price!

Youll have to come up with a youtube account now :sad:

kewb

cyberknight said:
I am really thinking of binning the whole idea atm .

left one charging for a good 6 hours and it managed 20 mins on an empty card.

might be battery memory ?

the terms memory effect or memory problem was coined to describe a cyclic memory problem where the NiCad battery would "remember" the amount of discharge for previous discharges and limit the recharge life of the battery. The problem is less prevalent with modern Ni-Cd batteries, which are designed to avoid cyclic memory issues.

The memory effect is caused by a change in crystalline formation from the desirable small size to a large size which occurs when a NiCad battery is recharged before it is fully discharged. The growth of large crystals increases the cell impedance and can eventually prevent the battery from discharging beyond that point and/or cause rapid self-discharge of the battery.

The growth of large crystals can be avoided by either completely discharging it each time it is used or by using a NiCad battery charger which has a built-in discharge circuit.

Memory effect can sometimes be reversed by putting the battery through several complete discharge and recharge cycles which helps to recover the smaller crystal formations. This is called reconditioning.

Manonabike

Über Member
kewb said:
might be battery memory ?

the terms memory effect or memory problem was coined to describe a cyclic memory problem where the NiCad battery would "remember" the amount of discharge for previous discharges and limit the recharge life of the battery. The problem is less prevalent with modern Ni-Cd batteries, which are designed to avoid cyclic memory issues.

The memory effect is caused by a change in crystalline formation from the desirable small size to a large size which occurs when a NiCad battery is recharged before it is fully discharged. The growth of large crystals increases the cell impedance and can eventually prevent the battery from discharging beyond that point and/or cause rapid self-discharge of the battery.

The growth of large crystals can be avoided by either completely discharging it each time it is used or by using a NiCad battery charger which has a built-in discharge circuit.

Memory effect can sometimes be reversed by putting the battery through several complete discharge and recharge cycles which helps to recover the smaller crystal formations. This is called reconditioning.

These cams use lithium battery so no memory effect on those.