Mini race anyone ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just to liven up a short 'commute'...or even a long one !!

I hate it when theres no other cyclists around. Nothing to aim for. You may come out on top....or you may get your nose rubbed in it :biggrin:

Rode home 'tother night...a guy on a Giant roadbike just passed through the traffic lights i'm waiting at.
Oooh....:biggrin:. Off...ride up behind him...follow for 1/4 of a mile. Hes pedalling like the clappers, and seems to be bobbing up and down a lot on the seat.....but he's going a fair lick. No, thats it, i've had enough...overtook him, and i think he withered :biggrin:

Of course, theres times you get stuffed.
On my early evening ride a while ago. Fairly going some by my standard. All of a sudden, this guy appears on my shoulder :sad:.
We chatted for 5 minutes...i'm starting to wither now, trying to keep up with him :biggrin:
'Anyway..nice chatting' he says...and effortlessly rides off into the distance :biggrin:

Barsteward :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So i tell myself when i lose....well, youre nearer 50 than 49, and he looked a lot younger than me.
When i win.........................funnily enough, the same thing runs through my head.

Can anyone resist a mini race ?

gbb said:

I don't bother with racing (no, honest :biggrin:), I've got nothing to prove!
I just try and look nonchalent and comfortable/at ease with my cadence on a steep bit.
Sometimes I get a bit pi$$ed off with the 'all the gear, no idea' kind of people, of which there is an abundance here :biggrin:, but,as I said, I don't race others, I just have my own golas/targets.

But watch out IF we meet up in the spring at the Cycle Chat weekend in the Lake District/somewhere in the UK! :sad: :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
I like catching people up.

I'm not interested in steaming past them. Just if I spot them in the distance it gives me a good challenge to try to reel them in and gets my pace up above the pootle I've usually got into the rythym of.

Looking forward to the CycleChat meet next year as well :biggrin:.

Plax

Guru
I'm not interested in steaming past them. Just if I spot them in the distance it gives me a good challenge to try to reel them in and gets my pace up above the pootle I've usually got into the rythym of.

I have a habit of doing this too. I made it home in quite good time today as a result. One of my work colleagues (who is knocking on for a good old 50+), flew past on the main road just as I was joining it from the more scenic route. I tried to catch him up but lost time at the T Junction. I'm telling you, he must have flown up the hills quicker than I usually cycle downhill! Jolly good ride home though, really felt it when I got in. I usually amble up the hills at a leisurely pace.

The one time I was ever really adamant at overtaking another cyclist was on my sceond outing out on the bike and it was on the way to work so all down hill. I overtook on the way down and left him for dust. Or so I thought. He started gaining ground on the straight before eventually overtaking me on the drive up to work. :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
longers said:
I like catching people up.

Looking forward to the CycleChat meet next year as well :biggrin:.

With you there. Theres a guy on my route, more experienced & faster. If I see him, he's the target

ChrisW

gbb said:
Just to liven up a short 'commute'...or even a long one !!

I hate it when theres no other cyclists around. Nothing to aim for. You may come out on top....or you may get your nose rubbed in it :biggrin:

Rode home 'tother night...a guy on a Giant roadbike just passed through the traffic lights i'm waiting at.
Oooh....:sad:. Off...ride up behind him...follow for 1/4 of a mile. Hes pedalling like the clappers, and seems to be bobbing up and down a lot on the seat.....but he's going a fair lick. No, thats it, i've had enough...overtook him, and i think he withered :biggrin:

Of course, theres times you get stuffed.
On my early evening ride a while ago. Fairly going some by my standard. All of a sudden, this guy appears on my shoulder :biggrin:.
We chatted for 5 minutes...i'm starting to wither now, trying to keep up with him :biggrin:
'Anyway..nice chatting' he says...and effortlessly rides off into the distance :biggrin:

Barsteward :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So i tell myself when i lose....well, youre nearer 50 than 49, and he looked a lot younger than me.
When i win.........................funnily enough, the same thing runs through my head.

Just see my signature!!!!

And like you, nearly 50, with a pathological hatred of tall, skinny, youths on fast bikes, with a great aerobic capacity! 'Cos they win.....:biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Funnily enough I caught up and past some young upstart in a Scottish Cycling jersey today on my commute into work on my fixed before Crammond Brigg ( doubt he was trying really !! ) Anyway he then preceded to draft me all the way upto the lights at Barnton,I was going some, so must be getting fitter as I didn`t feel tired.

Balls im too old and too slow.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't tend to race people as I'm quicker than 99% of the people I see - if someone is riding a fair lick on a road bike, and overtaking them isn't an option (I am on my semi-slicked MTB) then I'll let off a little. Best to stay at your own speed, be it fast or slow, as you know the next set of lights will bugger it all up.

Did pass 3 other proper commuters last week on Manchester Road going down to Cheadle - two riders were together, one drafting going at a fair pace, then they were overtaken by another cyclist, then I got all three :biggrin: - a sort of mini race !

Passed an unlit, all in black, pavement riding, RLJ'er yesterday - he then passed me at some lights as he RLJ'ed, then onto road again - Caught him up quickly, politely told him to get some lights, then accellerated away, knowing I had a reasonable distance to the next set of lights, just in case he didn't like me....:biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
fossyant said:
Passed an unlit, all in black, pavement riding, RLJ'er yesterday - he then passed me at some lights as he RLJ'ed, then onto road again

Had one like that, monday, heavy traffic, so I'm filtering down the middle of a dual carriageway. He went about a mile tops. Felt like saying "Try doing 10 miles before we start."

Got distracted 'cos as he turns off the car passing me in primary is trying to do a left hooker!

LOGAN 5

Plax said:
The one time I was ever really adamant at overtaking another cyclist was on my sceond outing out on the bike and it was on the way to work so all down hill. I overtook on the way down and left him for dust. Or so I thought. He started gaining ground on the straight before eventually overtaking me on the drive up to work. :biggrin:

Overtaking downhill is definitely cheating and doesn't count!:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
steady stream of others in London town, I like always seeing something in front to overhaul, pushes a fella on, some slow, some quick, all shapes and sizes

best of all is someone just a bit faster than I'd normally go that genuinely pulss me along

perhaps worse is someone that's an effort to keep up with, that drgas me along for a mile or so before they ease away into the distant

it's all good, I wouldn't call it racing but there is a certain awareness

got-to-get-fit

i love it, in my head im doing the tour and screaming up mount ventoux trying to real in Armstrong .....in reality im wheezing away trying to catch a 60yr old in his jeans and workboots riding his 2 for £99 mountainbike.

But what the heck, its my head and ill fill it with as much crap as i like!

Top Bottom