Mini-tour distance advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planning on a 3 day tour on my road bike. I'll be fitting everything I need in my large saddleback (toothbrush, credit card and hair products are all I need). Need some help on distances.

I like doing 50 mile rides which takes me around 4 hours including stopping. Want to cycle longer and further but don't want an uncomfortable endurance. I have done 100m but the last 15 weren't fun and there's no way I would have got on my bike the next day. I don't want to cut it too short either as I won;t get very far and don't want to be done by lunchtime.

I'm thinking around 65/75/65 for each day?

The problem with such mini tours is what to do with your excess time. You can cover longer distances by breaking it up into segments with rest and food between sessions. If you are doing a credit card tour and your destination is hotels, the extra time is usually not a problem if there is something to do. But, it is a kinda waste. I would find stuff to do/see en-route and drag the day out as long as possible.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds eminently do'able at those distances. If I learned anything from my recent mini-tour with kids it is that the distance isn't actually important. Make sure you take the time to stop and look at points of interest, plan the route to visit new places or use routes you already know but stop at things you have always ignored in the past. Try routes/paths that you are unsure of, they may not work but it does make the trip more interesting and memorable. Most of all have fun. No point going on tour just to stare at your front wheel for 100 miles a day, everyday, just to make sure you hit your mileage target, but I am sure you won't be doing that anyway.

Can't your servant follow in the Bentley carrying all the kit you will want in the evenings?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Planning on a 3 day tour on my road bike. I'll be fitting everything I need in my large saddleback (toothbrush, credit card and hair products are all I need). Need some help on distances.

I like doing 50 mile rides which takes me around 4 hours including stopping. Want to cycle longer and further but don't want an uncomfortable endurance. I have done 100m but the last 15 weren't fun and there's no way I would have got on my bike the next day. I don't want to cut it too short either as I won;t get very far and don't want to be done by lunchtime.

What...wait.

No iphone?

Who are you and what have you done with Marky?

Ps 60 miles a day is lovely I'm off to Ypres next weekend to do just that for a few days around France.

The distance sounds about right for each day. You'll be clear of the bonk zone, but still doing enough miles to make it worthwhile.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The problem with such mini tours is what to do with your excess time. You can cover longer distances by breaking it up into segments with rest and food between sessions. If you are doing a credit card tour and your destination is hotels, the extra time is usually not a problem if there is something to do. But, it is a kinda waste. I would find stuff to do/see en-route and drag the day out as long as possible.
I just sit in the hotel restaurant and eat, drink, chat and relax.

Its bloody awesome. I don't think I ever struggle to fill that time. It just takes commitment and practice but you will get there...dont give up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Planning on a 3 day tour on my road bike. I'll be fitting everything I need in my large saddleback (toothbrush, credit card and hair products are all I need). Need some help on distances. [...] I'm thinking around 65/75/65 for each day?
Are you touring to go touring or touring to go see stuff? I think 40-60 would be better for visiting places.

Last year, I did 35 (half-day), 42, 60, 43, 53 and 55 and the days over 50 were a bit too long for my taste, but we were carrying more stuff than you intend to, so 10-11mph rather than your 12.5. The 60-mile day was a struggle (and my mood was not helped by the penultimate street being cobbled!) and the days over 50 were pretty much arrive at the accommodation, stow bikes+luggage, then go for dinner (we did have leisurely lunch each day and looked a bit at towns we passed through). Next tour is intended to be 30 (half-day), 30, 35, 30, 40, possible 55, so that we have more time to visit the towns we stay in while things are actually open.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

You are going to leave London:ohmy:

Have you had your jabs?

Don't want any of those cosmopolitan left wing diseases spreading outside the M25.
Yeah I'm just planing on 3 laps of the north/south circular looking inwards the whole time.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

What...wait.

No iphone?

Who are you and what have you done with Marky?

Ps 60 miles a day is lovely I'm off to Ypres next weekend to do just that for a few days around France.
iPhone strapped to the handle bars for directions. Got a charging case and it's given me 8 hours with plenty to spare the other day.

Terrain, fitness and purpose will make it difficult to get a tailored response. If you can put together a series of 3 rides or even two as practise you'll answer your own question. Touring means different things to different people.

Lee-M

Whatever the distances are make sure you get to your days destination around 6pm so if you haven't worked where you are going to stay you have bit of time to hunt around and the hunting me take you another ten miles down the road . Speaking from experience.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Whatever the distances are make sure you get to your days destination around 6pm so if you haven't worked where you are going to stay you have bit of time to hunt around and the hunting me take you another ten miles down the road . Speaking from experience.
Thanks. I am most likely pre-booking as it'll be close to summer hols and no doubt busy.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Quick question: I'm planning on using my road bike, should I swap my 23mm road tyres for something wider? I'm not planning on going off road.

Quick question: I'm planning on using my road bike, should I swap my 23mm road tyres for something wider? I'm not planning on going off road.
Don't see why. If you find them comfortable now then they should be on tour. Perhaps alter the pressures a little to compensate for the load.

Top Bottom