Mini-tour distance advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't forget, your bike already manages your fat arse.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quick question: I'm planning on using my road bike, should I swap my 23mm road tyres for something wider? I'm not planning on going off road.
It depends on the tyres, bike and your personal tolerances. Do you get enough road buzz when you pump the tyres up to handle the weight of rider+luggage that it would be uncomfortable to ride day after day?

I usually ride a steel bike with 28mm flexible tyres at medium-range pressure and when test-riding someone's alloy bike with 25mm tyres at their max, it felt like I could feel every stone in the chipping road surface, so much so that I had to go find smooth tarmac before I could figure out which bearing was failing. I wouldn't want to ride an hour like that, let alone a day, but each to their own. Mess with other people's tyres and pressures at one's peril!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Road bikes aren't my thing, but wider tyres make sense for a tour for a bit of extra comfort and versatility.

Depends a bit where you are touring.

Here in the north east we have long sections of gravel/cinder track on which 25/28 or even 30+ tyres are best.

Elsewhere in the country, you might be 95 per cent on minor roads for which skinny roadie slicks are fine.

Another pointer is that which is fitted to touring bicycles - most have 28 tyres or wider.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here in the north east we have long sections of gravel/cinder track on which 25/28 or even 30+ tyres are best.
What do you mean "even 30+"? Proper road bikes have 1¼" tyres which is 32mm ;)

Another pointer is that which is fitted to touring bicycles - most have 28 tyres or wider.
Real touring bikes have 1⅜" tyres, which is 37mm in metric.

:popcorn:

Toemul

I went for the same sort of thing over 8 days using Google maps I was told on here to add around 20% to the distances given, this proved spot on I chose to ignore the advice cause it didn't suit me plans. made the last hour of each day tough.

Top Bottom