Mini tours 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I regard a mini tour as anything that takes me to areas where I've not cycled before, needs an overnight stay and where the aim is to see stuff.

Last March I caught the train from home in Somerset to Cheltenham and then pedalled home with an overnight stay in Avonmouth. I enjoyed seeing the Gloucester cathedral, the Severn and the tea shop in Berkeley.

I've just returned to Somerset from Newport in South Wales having enjoyed the the mix of deep countryside and urban sprawl along the way. I crossed the big bridge and stayed in Portishead.

20240104_114834.jpg

Do you do mini tours?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Chris and I are planning on doing one this summer but we are still at the planning stage so far. Usually we do it over 3 or 4 days. Over Christmas we had a look at North Devon coast to somewhere on the south coast but that's as far as we got.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I usually do the odd island trip but one in particular was focused on too much time sampling the local tipple and the last one started in brilliant sunshine, only to finish in the biggest downpour of the year and if someone had stopped and offered me a lift, I reckon I would have thrown the steed into the sea and jumped in to any vehicle to get away from it. :eek:

That said, I fancy the below as a wee mini tour early this spring, probably a solo trip but it would be excellent if Mrs Slick came along for the ride as well.

https://johnmuirway.org/

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yeah, I usually do the odd island trip but one in particular was focused on too much time sampling the local tipple and the last one started in brilliant sunshine, only to finish in the biggest downpour of the year and if someone had stopped and offered me a lift, I reckon I would have thrown the steed into the sea and jumped in to any vehicle to get away from it. :eek:

That said, I fancy the below as a wee mini tour early this spring, probably a solo trip but it would be excellent if Mrs Slick came along for the ride as well.

What a wonderful route. I'd love to do that.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Just playing with ideas and looking at train stations I was thinking about a mini tour from Cheltenham to Hereford, night in Hereford, then head down to Newport.

A bit bumpy, maybe.

Hmmm.

Edit: making the overnight stop at Ross on Wye reduces the lumpiness and distance.

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran

For those who might be thinking about this - I know I am - there are downloadable gpx files available in various places. I'll offer cycle.travel https://cycle.travel/search/john muir
(Just thought I'd get in there before @HobbesOnTour ^_^)

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Simple overnighters are great, I've written about a few in the travelogue section on here.

I've been sat here these last days as the rain streams against the windows, looking at maps and books and other resources planning some hopefully great overnight trips. I've so far planned a couple with the kids and one for me. Just need to see if I can find the time and hope the weather plays nicely. This time of year is great for planning and dreaming of future adventures, whether simple overnighters or longer trips.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a couple of places in mind Edinburgh and Nottingham to visit old friends.

Days ride to Nottingham or Friday night + saturday to Edinburgh. (With tent)

Might try down to Dorset in under 24hrs again and return too

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done a few - often to northern France, and also to the Peak District to do the Tissington, Monsal, High Peak and Manifold trails. A somewhat-truncated C2C from Carlisle to Newcastle was a bit of a tall order for one night away on a Brompton. I still hope to do the Belgian Coast by bike and Coast Tram, but I've been planning it since 2018...

mikeIow

Guru
Did a nice 2 day circular from Ludlow with a pal back in September, it was a very enjoyable little jaunt: we camped next to a pub, which made for an easy dinner!

…..but I have to confess to being rather a fair weather cyclist 😳
As my signature says, we have Lon Las Cymru in our sights, likely later this year….

Domus

Guru
Bay Cycle Way is a favourite of mine. Quite often when I’m at the caravan in Grange I will catch the train to Barrow and cycle back.
In 2022 three of us did the full route and continued to Blackpool to make it a 3 day tour.

Top Bottom