Minimum Baggage for Unsupported

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
My Bro and me plan to do LEJOG next May. We've decided on B&Bs and unsupported. We plan to leave / post some stuff to some of the B&Bs / hotels.

What do people think is the minimum we can get away carrying with us?

Cheers

Martin

andrew_s

Legendary Member
People have done 2 week tours on what fits in their jersey pockets, but Scotland in May may well be colder than that (fresh snow on the hills when I was there on the 13th).

shorts, short sleeve top (worn)
spare shorts, mid-weight long sleeve top, legwarmers (carried)
eVent waterproof jacket (can also use as a windproof layer if it's a bit cold)
waterproof hat/cap
lightweight trousers, t-shirt, undies (evening wear)
SPD sandals, take 1 pair of socks in case of sunburn or rubbing straps
Navigation: a GPS and a notebook with pre-prepared notes, 4 x lithium AAs as spare power.
2x inner tubes, levers, pump, patch kit, multitool, bit of old tyre as a boot (bike tools & spares can be shared if you stick together)
phonecard for telephone boxes (if you take a mobile you'll want a charger too)
toothbrush/toothpaste (half used tube), flannel. (Rely on Hotel/B&B for soap/towel, let the beard grow)

Wash the shorts in the evening (the spare pair is in case of failure to dry overnight)
Shower before putting on evening clothing and it should last OK.

[edit] one of those lightweight combination locks. Won't stop anyone intending to pinch a bike, but will stop someone just riding off.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That's pretty much what I've taken on shorter lightweight tours- no reason why I'd need anything extra for longer distances though.

I use some SPD shoes rather than sandals, just personal preference, couple pairs of socks.

I have done it with just one set of cycling clothing, but a couple of times it hasn't dried out totally overnight. If staying in B&Bs wring out your stuff as best you can, wrap it in a towel, stand on one end and twist until you can twist no more- it gets loads of water out and generally dries overnight.

I'd still take an extra pair of shorts though.

And with two people some of the stuff can be shared- very useful that.

It can be chilly in the evening, I've kept warm using my cycling rain jacket (tip: I wish I hadn't bought a bloody yellow rain jacket!) and a long-sleeved cycling top, you may have room for a lightweight fleece or something. I like having a beanie hat or similar.

I've been lucky- I never really plan where I'm going to stay and just ask at B&Bs/hotels if they have somewhere to put my bike. They often do, otherwise I rely on a fairly insubstantial cable lock (this may not be an entirely good idea but it's what I do).

I generally get it into two smallish rear panniers.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Thanks chaps - very helpful. I hope to manage with 2 small panniers as well. It's 11 months away, but I'm looking forward to it already :blush:

Martin

ajc

Unsupported I did LEJOG with a Top PEAK 2.8 L RX rack bag with rain cover and AGU bar bag. Took a very small front & rear light in case of bad weather.
I wore one pair of cycling shorts, top, merino wool base layer and socks and 1 pair of gloves.
In rack bag, 1 pair shorts, top, and socks and 1 pair undies, one pair of shorts and one t-shirt. It just squeezed in, just ! Merino wool doesn't need washing as often.

I strapped a pair of sandals, overshoes and waterproof to top of rack pack with a bungee cord.
I carried knee warmers, arm warmers and used those at night if it was cold.
Most evenings I'd eat near to b&b and then I'd sit and watch tv in the room so I wasn't out very much to get cold.

I'd wash clothes every other day, my shorts & t-shirts only twice but I figured I was only in a place one night so I wasn't too bothered as long as I didn't smell. :sad:

Did the towel trick which dried things very well !

Bar bag carried my phone with charger and ASOS Chamios cream (best thing I took, very highly recommended) plus maps, one bebit/credit card and some cash. I took first half the maps with me and posted the second half to a b&b I stopped at in Cheshire

I cut down a tooth brush, took small toothpaste tube and small deoderant and used the b&b soap/shampoo. I grew a bit of a beard for 2 weeks.
I had some energy gels, a buff, cycling cap, two spare tubes, repair kit, one multi tool with chain splitter, spare spokes attached to the bike and tape.

Pump was attached to the bike and had a bit of old tyre, also a few zip ties and small first aid kit. Painkillers, plasters, small pack of wipes.
It is worth remembering that you are in a place for only one night so no-one is too bothered about what you wear. You can always tell them you are on LEJOG, it made for good conversation in pubs.

Try a few rides fully loaded, it makes a huge difference to bike handling/riding.

When booking I checked that the B&B would look after my bike and would eat lunch at cafes where I could see my bike. I did take a small cheap lock but made sure the bar bag went with me at all times.

I replaced tyres, brakes and gearing a month before setting off then let it bed in.
I'd stop at bike shops on the way and borrowed their track pump to keep tyres up to good pressure (tho I only did this twice).
Hope this helps in a small way :laugh:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
ajc said:
I replaced tyres, brakes and gearing a month before setting off then let it bed in.

This is an important point.
I've known quite a few people put off the bike servicing until the last minute, and then have problems because of it.

livetoride

hi would love to ride lejog next year were is the best place to get maps of the route

Barbelier

hi would love to ride lejog next year were is the best place to get maps of the route
Just do a search online and you'll come up with loads. Try CTC and End to Enders sites in particular for lots of info.

But in my opinion one of the best parts is planning your own route based on how long you want to take, whether you want to do some site seeing/have a few rests days etc or just go for the quickest route.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
livetoride said:

There are also plenty of books. We are basing our route on the LEJOG book by Simon Brown (A Cicerone Guide)

Martin

Top Bottom