Minor race thread 2017 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Huge crash at the end of Belgian Tour stage 1. Coquard wins, McLay 3rd

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Whizz....
WP_20170525_001.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Interesting to see that the world cross champ, Wout Van Aert is leading the Tour of Belgium. I'm not sure if he's swapping codes - I seem to remember reading that sometime.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Seems like the Netherlands have a potential new star in Mathieu van der Poel. He won a stage of the Belgium Tour and has followed this up with GC at Boucles de la Mayenne with 2 stages, a second and a third.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Seems like the Netherlands have a potential new star in Mathieu van der Poel. He won a stage of the Belgium Tour and has followed this up with GC at Boucles de la Mayenne with 2 stages, a second and a third.

Not sure how big a deal that is, tbh, but he was world CX champion in 2015, and twice world CX champion at junior level before that. He also won the junior road race at the world champs in 2013, beating Mads Pedersen who signed for Trek this season and raced in the Giro.

So yeah, definitely promising.

Proto

Legendary Member
There are some great pictures on the Rutland twitter site:
https://twitter.com/CiCLEClassic

Daughter was in the women's race so went up to watch. Brilliant event on a fantastic course. Organisers did a great job. I'd imagine the men's race was equally good. Had a chat with the main sponsor of the Women's race at the Lincoln GP. He put £26000 of his own money in so the event could take place, says he can afford if for another five years. Top man! Also helps that a local land owner & businessman is on board (they use his land and premises at Owston for a lot of the rough stuff), very enthusiastic, he wants to build it up as women's Paris -Roubaix!

PS Proud dad: Here she is on the front

DBgm5T4XYAIxKdh.jpg

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Good to see that Cav and Steve Cummings are both riding the Tour of Slovenia which starts on Thursday (live on Eurosport). Cav has his full lead-out team, so must be feeling fit and well.

Last edited:

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I watched Scott at the Tour of Croatia last season (top ten finish) and was impressed, and feel that he is going to be a future GC contender. I expect to see him with a World Tour Team next year.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Had to put this somewhere.
From BBC sport website:
Great Britain will host its first men's UCI World Tour race when the Ride London-Surrey Classic takes place in July.
The event, first staged in 2013, boasts the world's richest one-day races, with equal prize money of 100,000 euros (£88,100) for men and women.
The women's Ride London-Surrey Classic was given World Tour status in 2016.
"Now it's a World Tour race, the standard of the field will go up," said Team Sky's Geraint Thomas.
Wales' Thomas came second in last year's race having launched a solo bid for victory 50km out before getting caught in the final 5km.
He added: "It will be super-competitive and super-fast and I think it's going to be a really exciting race."
:surrender:

Had to put this somewhere.
From BBC sport website:
Great Britain will host its first men's UCI World Tour race when the Ride London-Surrey Classic takes place in July.
The event, first staged in 2013, boasts the world's richest one-day races, with equal prize money of 100,000 euros (£88,100) for men and women.
The women's Ride London-Surrey Classic was given World Tour status in 2016.
"Now it's a World Tour race, the standard of the field will go up," said Team Sky's Geraint Thomas.
Wales' Thomas came second in last year's race having launched a solo bid for victory 50km out before getting caught in the final 5km.
He added: "It will be super-competitive and super-fast and I think it's going to be a really exciting race."
:surrender:
I'll cross the finish line before those nobbers, what's my prize?

Top Bottom