Minor race thread 2017 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
I am just catching up with Fleche Wallone, and am starting to get p*ssed off with every bloody commentator mentioning "bad example for the children watching" when the riders rest their arms on the bars in what the commentators seem to call "faux time trial position" - who gives a flying f*ck?!!
You probably would care if you were in that position and a car pulled out in front of you!

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
You probably would care if you were in that position and a car pulled out in front of you!
I don't think you are getting what I am on about. I can't remember hearing any commentators saying "children, please do not descend Alpine passes at over 100kph..."

Anyway, Valverde made that look easy.

Apart from anything else, these new fangled positions, the puppy paws and the pedalling whilst sat on the top tube, just look so awful. Sure I want them banned but it's hard to envisage the legislative wording to achieve it. I'm wondering if they should re-allow Spinacci bars as a more pragmatic step.

huwsparky

Über Member
I don't think you are getting what I am on about. I can't remember hearing any commentators saying "children, please do not descend Alpine passes at over 100kph..."

Anyway, Valverde made that look easy.
Maybe we're not on the same wave length. I was just highlighting the reason i though they were trying to get across about riding in that position ie - not having any control of the bike. Nothing to do with descending speeds, can't recall them mentioning that.

At the end of the day, it's obviously a faster position to be in as when riders generally are at the front of a break or trying to bring one back they all seem to adopt that position. Nothing will change about that if it's faster so no real point in commentators mentioning it.

And yes, Valverde did make it look easy unfortunately!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe we're not on the same wave length. I was just highlighting the reason i though they were trying to get across about riding in that position ie - not having any control of the bike. Nothing to do with descending speeds, can't recall them mentioning that.
Surely they've still got some control of the bike, like when people ride so-called "Dutch tri bars" by resting their forearms on the flat section near the stem? Still more control than when they ride no-handed, flapping jackets or farting around with the currently-compulsory distracting headgear.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Apart from anything else, these new fangled positions, the puppy paws and the pedalling whilst sat on the top tube, just look so awful. Sure I want them banned but it's hard to envisage the legislative wording to achieve it. I'm wondering if they should re-allow Spinacci bars as a more pragmatic step.
Does crouching on the top tube have a name? I nominate "crapping dog" to go with "puppy paws"

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Does crouching on the top tube have a name? I nominate "crapping dog" to go with "puppy paws"
The sack separator?

Adam4868

Guru
Thought it was called "the super tuck" or something similar.I'm not really that convinced there's that much to be gained over traditional aero position.Reckon I prefer Marmions description.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Part of the Rutland - Melton Cicle Classic

upload_2017-4-23_13-43-6.png

Top Bottom