Minor races 2018 (contains spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are we including Il Lombardia in here. Pinot wins a monument. I might need to say that again. Two wins at the end of the season, is this the harbinger of bigger things for him or will normal service be resumed next year?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Are we including Il Lombardia in here. Pinot wins a monument. I might need to say that again. Two wins at the end of the season, is this the harbinger of bigger things for him or will normal service be resumed next year?

Pinot has a history of having a shocker of a day in every Grand Tour that puts him out of contention (along with his hopeless TT). I see no reason for that to change. Great racing today though and he was a thoroughly deserving winner

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is hardly a 'minor' race though, is it? :whistle:

I took the precaution of watching the highlights just now before coming in to this thread.

What a great win, and a fine second place too!

I still don't understand why some pros insist on using gears which they can't turn over properly on steep climbs? Ok, when wide-range gears were not available they didn't have a lot of choice, but they certainly are available now so why grind to a halt on 27% when you could spin your way up it? :wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is hardly a 'minor' race though, is it? :whistle:

I took the precaution of watching the highlights just now before coming in to this thread.

What a great win, and a fine second place too!

I still don't understand why some pros insist on using gears which they can't turn over properly on steep climbs? Ok, when wide-range gears were not available they didn't have a lot of choice, but they certainly are available now so why grind to a halt on 27% when you could spin your way up it? :wacko:
How wide can you go now? Presumably for a race with a descent so close to the end, they're going to use something like 54/11, so what's the other extreme possible?

Why did the pack just let Nibbles go?

Nice to see the rainbow curse continue.

ColinJ

How wide can you go now? Presumably for a race with a descent so close to the end, they're going to use something like 54/11, so what's the other extreme possible?
On Eurosport, Magnus Backstedt suggested that a 36/32 (or was it 34/32?) bottom gear might have been a better choice for some of those grovelling!

mjr

On Eurosport, Magnus Backstedt suggested that a 36/32 (or was it 34/32?) bottom gear might have been a better choice for some of those grovelling!
So is that a 20t front derailleur capacity and a 21t rear? It looks like Shimano road FDs currently only have 16t, so does this mean bodging MTB FDs on?

ColinJ

So is that a 20t front derailleur capacity and a 21t rear? It looks like Shimano road FDs currently only have 16t, so does this mean bodging MTB FDs on?
Possibly! :whistle:

I think we should change the thread title next year. Minor races and races without their own thread, kinda thing.
I think the 'monuments' are worthy of their own threads. I was quite surprised that there wasn't one for Il Lombardia.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Possibly! :whistle:

I think the 'monuments' are worthy of their own threads. I was quite surprised that there wasn't one for Il Lombardia.
I was flabbergasted that you hadn't started one:okay:

Meanwhile, a brilliantly clever win for Sam Bennett in the final stage of The Turkey Trot.

U

User169

Not sure if CX counts here, but some road cyclists were in action at the Euro champs yesterday. Marianne Voss in 2nd place - she's riding a full CX season and has been in dominant form so far. Mathieu van der Poel beat Wout van Aert in the mens. vd Poel got level with van Aert, stuck with him for a while and then just accelerated away and wasn't seen again. Supreme stuff. Van Aert says he's put on muscle for the road which is affecting his CX.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Not sure if CX counts here, but some road cyclists were in action at the Euro champs yesterday. Marianne Voss in 2nd place - she's riding a full CX season and has been in dominant form so far. Mathieu van der Poel beat Wout van Aert in the mens. vd Poel got level with van Aert, stuck with him for a while and then just accelerated away and wasn't seen again. Supreme stuff. Van Aert says he's put on muscle for the road which is affecting his CX.
You might have mentioned the British riders ^_^

Tom Pidcock won the U23 race, with Ben Turner in 4th and Thomas Mein in 5th.
In the women's race, Nikki Brammeier came 8th and Helen Wyman 9th.

Full results of all races at https://www.cxmagazine.com/2018-uec-european-cyclocross-championship-results-men-women-u23-junior

mjr

You might have mentioned the British riders ^_^

Tom Pidcock won the U23 race, with Ben Turner in 4th and Thomas Mein in 5th.
In the women's race, Nikki Brammeier came 8th and Helen Wyman 9th.
Dry results are boring and don't become interesting just because they're British. You might have mentioned something about the actual races like @DP did ^_^

Top Bottom