Minor races 2020 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Piddock wins the UCI mountain bike champs today.What a year he's having.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mountain-bike-world-championships-2020/men-e-mtb/results/
Finish Line Photo

Some wag on twitter pointed out that it could have been anyone....

lyn1

Über Member
You're right: it's surprising that winning a 6 day second division race isn't worth more than that.

By the way, eighteen (?) World Tour teams times a max roster of about thirty riders is 540 riders, not 1200. Has the maximum roster size changed?

With a start list quality ranking of 3 this is way way below a second division race. I doubt it fits anywhere, other that an amateur race.

As I indicated, 19 WT plus 25 PT (ie 1st & 2nd Div) is approx. 1200. These are the guys generally accepted to be the professional road peloton.
I doubt there are any pros in the Thai race, which is why PCS has asked the UCI why they have allowed this to happen.
Even the compacted season and riders having to prioritise in bigger races they still have full fields of pros.

As an aside rosters increased to max 32 for 2021

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As I indicated, 19 WT plus 25 PT (ie 1st & 2nd Div) is approx. 1200. These are the guys generally accepted to be the professional road peloton.
Oh you mean Pro Conti?

I doubt there are any pros in the Thai race, which is why PCS has asked the UCI why they have allowed this to happen.
PCS?

How do you want UCI to stop it? Compel Pro Conti teams to enter? It took years to make that stick at World Tour lever!

lyn1

Über Member
Oh you mean Pro Conti?

PCS?

How do you want UCI to stop it? Compel Pro Conti teams to enter? It took years to make that stick at World Tour lever!

Yes, what was ProConti. Now renamed just Pro.

ProCyclingStats (PCS) who do all the results/stats on the pro scene provided details of the race, then asked if anyone recognized any names on the start list. Most responses were 0,1 or 2. They then questioned UCI as to why this race had a UCI label . The UCI already has quality regulations for races that have its label and corresponding points allocations. This field appears well below the level required even for the minimum level of UCI .2 (4th tier), let alone .1 (3rd tier) which is what it appears to have been allocated. The argument is that this race should not be UCI or offer any points. In effect it is similar to a non UCI British domestic race like Lincoln.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They then questioned UCI as to why this race had a UCI label . The UCI already has quality regulations for races that have its label and corresponding points allocations. This field appears well below the level required even for the minimum level of UCI .2 (4th tier), let alone .1 (3rd tier) which is what it appears to have been allocated. The argument is that this race should not be UCI or offer any points. In effect it is similar to a non UCI British domestic race like Lincoln.
Isn't the race category set before entries open? Any change due to field strength or any other factors normally comes in the following season. Reclassifying races mid season would make a mess of the calendars and make it even more likely races would collapse as the result of one difficult year affected by something unrelated to the race, such as a global health crisis.

I think PCS are being unreasonable, plus who made them judge and jury?

lyn1

Über Member
Isn't the race category set before entries open? Any change due to field strength or any other factors normally comes in the following season. Reclassifying races mid season would make a mess of the calendars and make it even more likely races would collapse as the result of one difficult year affected by something unrelated to the race, such as a global health crisis.

I think PCS are being unreasonable, plus who made them judge and jury?

I have no knowledge of the allocation process although you make a fair and logical point which probably explains the discrepancy. The race has never pulled in a quality field, but usually satisfies the minimum requirement with a handful of Asian national squads and some Aussie Conti teams, most of whom will have had problems travelling this year. PCS were not aggressive, merely questioning the matter given the quality is so far below the minimum requirement.

Top Bottom