Minor races 2020 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Another beautifully named race starting tomorrow!

The Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's Cup Tour of Thailand

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-thailand/2020/gc/overview
Nice part of the world though,been up and down that coast a few times.

Adam4868

Guru
Idly glancing at the results of Stage 1, I noticed that Marcus Halson, a Brit from Hammersmith, finished 34th riding for a team called Roojai.com. Their first race at UCI 2.1 level.
I wonder how he ended up there? Great for him.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-thailand/2020/stage-1
I'm guessing he was riding in the p1ssing rain and wind and someone phoned and said "Marcus I can get you a ride in Belgium or Thailand"
Seriously I've not a clue how you end up in a team like that ? Is there a agent you have.

lyn1

Über Member
This race typifies some of the flaws in the UCI points allocation system. The race has a start list quality ranking of 3 which makes it one of the weakest UCI fields in the World. Does not look to have any of the guys who ride World Tour or Pro Tour (about 1200) yet gets a 2.1 rating offering 125 points for the winner. That is equivalent to 12th at Tour de France or 8th at Flanders or Roubaix.

Adam4868

Guru
De Brabantse Pijl today if I've spelt that right ?
Flanders classic race with defending winner Van de Poel and Allaphilipe back in action.Thought I read somewhere that Bardet is back riding in this,after his concussion in the tour.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This race typifies some of the flaws in the UCI points allocation system. The race has a start list quality ranking of 3 which makes it one of the weakest UCI fields in the World. Does not look to have any of the guys who ride World Tour or Pro Tour (about 1200) yet gets a 2.1 rating offering 125 points for the winner. That is equivalent to 12th at Tour de France or 8th at Flanders or Roubaix.
You're right: it's surprising that winning a 6 day second division race isn't worth more than that.

By the way, eighteen (?) World Tour teams times a max roster of about thirty riders is 540 riders, not 1200. Has the maximum roster size changed?

But isn;t some inflation inevitable with the COVID fixture congestion?

(Giro/Vuelta/P-R on the same day; which would you downgrade due to lack of quality?)

Top Bottom