Minor Show-Off Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I thought I'd start a thread about this yesterday but thought better of it HOWEVER now I've had a few I thought I'd start it now.

Use this thread to post about things you've done on your journey you haven't done before. Perhaps you've done a longer route than usual, perhaps you've travelled in weather you haven't dealt with before, perhaps you had a go at a threatening rab you always avoided but just did it and survived? Yeah you feel good, yeah you want to tell everyone about it. Go on then!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Me? Usually I ride the 4 miles from mackworth to Derby train station then get the train to nottingham and ride a mile home. Sometimes I ride with a friend 14 miles to long eaton and get the train from there.

On Friday, I rode the full 25 mile scenic route all the way home. And I felt goooood! Yay me!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Me ... last week I managed to cycle for about 20 secs with no hands.... ok I can only do it going uphill and on a very smooth road near where I live - but I'm getting there. Its not that I want to be able to cycle no handed any distance, just to be able to do it confidently for a quick stretch would be nice.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not a commute, but I went out yesterday on the trike and tackled Nunburnholme hill in preparation for the Big G sportive in two weeks.

I got to the top, having pedalled all the way (at least you can't fall over at 3mph on a trike) and debated my next move. Which was to turn right, touch 35mph down the hill into Burnby, and then turn up the road to Nunburnholme and do it all over again before going on to Market Weighton.

Coming home, I approached the top from a different direction and managed 37.5 on the Burnby road...

taxing

Recently I've been trying to get my speed up from a standing stop and this week I've really noticed a difference, I've been flying across junctions. (Compared to my slow pootle before.)

Also got a nice tan on my arms this week from cycling. :rofl:

Stephen-D

me.... i was smiling from head to toe today on my commute this morning, I cycled through a thunderstorm all the way to work with the wind battering me and getting completely soaked, i loved every single minute of it. Weird eh!

Domeo

My normal commute is 13-15 miles into the City from north east London. Fridays I get to extend the commute up to about 30 miles. However the last 3 Fridays my journeys have been 45-47 miles.:biggrin::hyper:

Twiggy

Road from llanelli to swansea without getting off to push whilst hefting my unicycle and all my tools.

I've nearly done so previously, but had to stop and take on water. Did a little happy dance at the end of it.

Today, I purposely rode under a mini rain machine (farm sprinkler). The pump was bleeding water over the bush... hot weather + cold water = ace.

Not really sure on the point of this.

I think I have one... every day I am confronted with a shortish sharp hill, prior to it there is an equal decent (so I face the same both ways, although returning home the up part is longer). Today, for the first time returning home, I got all of the way to the top, right over the crest honking it out of the seat, and didn't drop below 20. Usually I give up and end up spinning the last few metres.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yesterday I averaged 14.3 in and 13.3 home.

:biggrin:

I think I've done it. Two casual rides in one day. Never seeing each hill as a challenge, every hint of a cyclist ahead as a potential scalp. I think I've finally grown up, and can cycle at a steady pace without feeling inadequate.

I rode fixed this morning for the first time in months. First commute I've ever done on a wheel I've built myself. I noticed I was better controlled at lower speeds, and may be close to being able to trackstand. Lower gear helps.

Matthames

Über Member
I managed to do a 14% climb today without dropping down to the granny ring. I have noticed I seem to be climbing a lot more quickly as of late :evil:

Top Bottom