Miraculous escape when bus hits pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
TFF, can't hold the line, understeers wide. Mind you, for what bus drivers earn its no wonder they can only recruit lunatics.
Having previously managed in the bus/coach industry, the majority of bus drivers aren't lunatics I can assure you. The wage has nothing to do with this one who clearly is!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Holy fook! what a miraculous escape!!! my jaw completely dropped when i saw him being hit by the bus....

I think he was LUCKY that the bus was travelling at such a speed that it he was thrown completely clear of it when he was hit.

Drago

Legendary Member
Having previously managed in the bus/coach industry, the majority of bus drivers aren't lunatics I can assure you. The wage has nothing to do with this one who clearly is!

Having put hundreds of bus drivers before the Courts in 26 years of policing I'm pretty sure they are, and the salary is everything to do with it - pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Drivers from other disciplines with advanced experience and qualifications can earn several multiples as much - the correlation between the salary and the quality of wheelman is pretty strong.

screenman

Legendary Member
"Reading Buses says it was an awful incident which is being investigated internally."

Surely the police are also investigating?

They will be along with VOSA.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Buses are flat, so they tend not to scoop you up and fling you, so much as knock you flat (having been hit by both a car and a bus, I speak only from personal experience). I think that might have something to do with it. I suspect that the "grazes and bruising" may be more severe than the reports imply. Three weeks on from hitting the tarmac myself at lower speed, I have an elbow that's still pretty tender (but irritatingly, not troubling enough to make me remember not to rest on the hurty bit).

I wish the news media wouldn't minimise incidents like this - I suspect that this bloke is going to be very uncomfortable (to say the least) for not less than a month - not to mention that he'll be questioning just how bad this could have been for a long while.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm not sure why you think RoSPA will be investigating this. DVSA and the Traffic Commissioner maybe...

They just seemded to turn up at Stagecoach after an incident like this, I could well be wrong and they may have been there for other reasons.

Oops! VOSA, I will go back and change it.

I think it might have been adrenaline, there's a slightly longer video clip which suggests he may have collapsed just inside the pub doorway.

Shame you posted this. I would have liked to have gone through the rest of my life imagining that there was someone harder than Goliath's big brother who wandered into the pub and had the following conversation...

Barman: Morning Dave. Usual?

Dave: Cheers Phil.

Barman: Been up to much lately?

Dave: Nah. Not really. Ahhhh... that's hit the spot, thanks. Bit breezy out there today, almost had me off my feet.

:laugh:

Graham

gavgav

Guru
Having put hundreds of bus drivers before the Courts in 26 years of policing I'm pretty sure they are, and the salary is everything to do with it - pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Drivers from other disciplines with advanced experience and qualifications can earn several multiples as much - the correlation between the salary and the quality of wheelman is pretty strong.
Utter codswallop!

Many more car drivers are convicted, than bus drivers, and it doesn't make all of them lunatics.

There are a good proportion of bus and coach drivers who have an extremely professional attitude and driving ability.

As in any walk of life, there are a MINORITY of lunatics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom