Mirror for road bike.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Ok, just a general post regarding mirrors on road bikes...... I realise that fitting a mirror to a road bike (with drop bars) is likely to be frowned upon by many purists. However, due to advancing years and less mobility in my neck I feel it may be time to consider a mirror to help me see what is behind on approaches to junctions etc. I do realise that a mirror cannot ever replace using ones eyes to check, but it is an aid to safety IMHO.

I have ordered a Cateye BM45 bar end mirror to try out.... Has anyone any experience of these mirrors or can you guide me to a more suitable solution please?

Sharky

Guru
After breaking a collarbone I lost mobility in my neck for a while and fitted a mirror to my drops. It helps to let you know when it is NOT safe to turn right, but not enough to rely on when it is safe to turn right. After a while, my neck improved and I discarded the mirror. But well worth trying.

If you don't get on with the bar end mirror, the Bike Eye frame-mounted ones are worth looking at. I use one and it's far more out of the way than a bar mounted mirror and doesn't vibrate, get knocked, etc. As above, I wouldn't rely solely on the information from it to perform a manoeuvre, but it does enable keeping track of what's happening behind me continually. And yes, when your leg on the mirror side is down, it blocks the view, but provided you're pedalling it's like looking through a rotating, spoked wheel, in that it appears transparent, not solid, so the view is entirely fine.

Another vote for the Bike Eye. It can take some time to find the right mounting point for it - as far as I can tell it works best when mounted high, between top tube and head tube. And go for the wider of the two sizes.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Cateye should have a suitable one

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've used something similar for years. I think these were by the French firm, Zefal. By the time I looked for similar ones for my new bike, they had been taken over by a Swiss company whose name I don't recall. I would echo some of the comments above .... Don't rely on them 100%, but they can be really useful.

On the plus side:
(1) If you do much riding in groups or mass participation rides, they can alert you to the presence of idiot cyclists overtaking on the wrong side or suddenly passing close without warning. I also use them on club rides to check that all of us have got through the traffic lights.
(2) While a little too shaky to see clear images, you will be able to keep tabs on vehicles that you have spotted behind you. You can't always tell whether it is a car or a van, but they do help.
(3) Having one on the left side as well has been useful to me when riding abroad, as looking over my left shoulder just doesn't seem to come naturally to me.

On the minus side:
(1) You'll probably have to adjust them every time you lean your bike against anything. They fit snugly in the bar ends at first, but soon become fairly loose.
(2) I never saw these chickens sneaking up on me:

75.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've got one of the bike eye mirrors and it's not bad. Your legs partially obscure vision so you have to remember to swing your leg out. It won't give you 3/4 vision.
I've got a pannier on now and that further obstructs view.
If you really don't get on with it on the frame you can fit it to the bend on your drop bars which works quite well.

Debade

Über Member
I really like my helmet mirror. I have more than one bike which provides advantage. But even compared to the one I had on my bike, I like the helmet one better.

Top Bottom