Mirrors; are they any use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

decca234uk

I've always had a bit of a downer on cycle mirrors going back years. mainly because the old ones I tried weren't very good, they vibrated a lot making it difficult to see what was behind. I also found that they got in the way and generally made me feel uncomfortable. I've now been hearing that there's companies making new mirrors which are supposed to be good, no vibration, clear views.
I know some cycllists who have difficulty turning and looking behind them will find a mirror essential, but I'm still not sure about them. What do you guys think, do you use mirrors? If you do which are the best?

Safe Riding

Paul

J4CKO

I had a bar end one on the hybrid when I started and loved it, bought a road bike and there was nowhere to fit one so kind of weaned myself off it though I do think they
are really helpful, but not a substitute for looking over your shoulder, where they do come in is monitoring what is coming up behind when you wouldnt normally look back, i.e. when not making a manuever, good for spotting chavs about to launch a strike or planning when to make a right turn, i.e. if its one car then clear, may as well wait a little longer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't bother on upright bikes, it's better and easier to look behind. OTOH very useful on my extremely laid back and low recumbent.

Norm

I have Bike-Eye's fitted on my road bikes, and I think they are excellent. They look along the bike, under the saddle and between the rider's legs, so it's a fairly narrow field of view but they do give an at-a-glance shot of what's straight behind you.

There's a few here with them fitted and, to be fair, some don't rate them as highly as I do but I'd consider them one of the best add-ons I've bought.

mark barker

I've got a bar end mounted one, and really miss it when I'm riding anything else. As said above, they don't replace the need for checking over your shoulder, but it does help when riding in traffic to keep you informed of whats going on around you.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I see that some riders favour a helmet mounted mirror, like a big monocle mounted on the peak, dear Sheldon famously used one. I've often wondered if they are just a wee bit eccentric or a real option? I'm not so sure.

I'm alright at cycling and looking back simultaneously so I've never bothered, but I can see the appeal for the more shaky or nervous cyclist... looking over the shoulder and staying straight does take some getting used to I admit.

potsy

Rambler
Having never ridden a bike on road until last year,the 1st add on I bought was a bar-end mirror. Absolutely fantastic I thought,really useful.
I have the Bike-eye like Norm on my Secteur but hardly ever use it now tbh.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sprintech bar end mirror on drop bars on the tourer/commuter. Very useful but no substitute for a good look over the shoulder.

Oddly when riding other bikes in the fleet I don't miss them.

slugonabike

I have a bar-end mirror on my hybrid. As a nervous newbie I find it very helpful, especially as my back and neck are not as flexible as they once were. It means I can be aware of traffic approaching from quite a distance back (or not,as the case may be) and keeps me more aware of what is going on - I guess that might be a hangover from decades of car driving. I also find it helpful when cycling in a group, I can easily check that the person who is supposed to be behind me actually is!

My bike was nicked a while back but was recovered the same day - minus the mirror. I tried to do without for a while but soon replaced it.

byegad

Legendary Member
Never ride without three, two on the trike and one on my glasses or for that once a year ride, helmet. Riding fairly laid back recumbents turning your head to see is impossible. All my Dfs had a right side mirror and I used the helmet/glasses mounted mirror too. As Numbnuts says the ability to be constantly aware of following traffic without needing to turn your head is good, although on a DF I always looked over my shoulder before turning or pulling out to the right. On my 'bents I still turn my head (Even though I can't see behind.) if there is a vehicle behind so the driver knows that I'm aware of him/her.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My two mirrors are invaluable on my 'bent trike, and when I get back on the upright after a long trike ride, I always miss having the mirror for a few moments. I'm fine with looking back though, so I've never got round to getting one on an upright. So my answer would be, if it helps, get one - but remember to always do a lifesaver check as well. Also, Byegad has a good point, that a driver seeing you look back will know you are alert, and probably aiming to move out soon. I've found that looking back, firmly and often, before a right turn, can get a driver to hang back and let me out. So have a mirror, but don't rely on it alone, and try to at least turn your head back often, even if you only get the briefest of glimpses, and use the mirror for detail.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had one on the hybrid until i bashed it against a wall and broke it then got used to not having it.

I found it usefull riding on fast A or B roads to keep an eye out behind but I wonder if they discourage you from having a proper look over the shoulder.

Wouldnt put one on a roadbike though.

Top Bottom