Mirrors; are they any use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I have a bit of a bias against mirrors on uprights, it leaves me thinking, however wrongly, that there's a born again cyclist who can't ride in a straight line whilst looking back. It just seems so uncool to me. I can accept there are a very few who do need mirrors on uprights for medical reasons or somesuch.

slugonabike

I must admit I have a bit of a bias against mirrors on uprights, it leaves me thinking, however wrongly, that there's a born again cyclist who can't ride in a straight line whilst looking back.

I'll admit that there might be just a grain of truth in that accusation! :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah sorry mate! I do realise my bias is horribly unfair. To be honest, I can remember when I got my first bike and couldn't do this either. I also remember being too afraid to use the brakes, so I'd roll into the ditch and fall off instead.

Norm

pssst... BM... slugonabike is a little too ladylike to be referred to as "mate". :thumbsup: :biggrin:

As for mirrors on uprights, I did say that it gives the view directly behind, I should have made clear that I do not think that this removes the requirement for regular shoulder checks.

potsy

Rambler
Mirrors are for train spotters and for people who tuck t-shirts into their trousers.

I must admit I have a bit of a bias against mirrors on uprights, it leaves me thinking, however wrongly, that there's a born again cyclist who can't ride in a straight line whilst looking back. It just seems so uncool to me. I can accept there are a very few who do need mirrors on uprights for medical reasons or somesuch.

Ok I''ll admit to tucking my t-shirt in. That leaves the rest for you Norm
thumbsup.png

Jezston

Über Member
Mirrors are for train spotters and for people who tuck t-shirts into their trousers.

That made me spit my breakfast out a little bit ;) Ah, people who tuck t-shirts into their trousers. My flatmate does that, then wonders why he can't get a girlfriend. Then I wonder why *I* can't get a girlfriend despite not tucking tshirts into my trousers AND being devilishly handsome.

slugonabike

pssst... BM... slugonabike is a little too ladylike to be referred to as "mate". :thumbsup: :biggrin:

As for mirrors on uprights, I did say that it gives the view directly behind, I should have made clear that I do not think that this removes the requirement for regular shoulder checks.

Thanks, Norm!

BTW, I do shoulder check too, just like checking my blind spot when driving, but I like to have a good idea of what I expect to see.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
A mirror on a tourer is a big help. It's multifunctional.

You can use it to see what's behind you, or how far behind your companion(s) have got.
You can shave with it. Or apply makeup. Or both...
It's very helpful for getting flies, grit, broken contact lenses etc. out of your eyes

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That made me spit my breakfast out a little bit ;) Ah, people who tuck t-shirts into their trousers. My flatmate does that, then wonders why he can't get a girlfriend. Then I wonder why *I* can't get a girlfriend despite not tucking tshirts into my trousers AND being devilishly handsome.

Oh dear!!! LOL!

Thanks Norm, and sorry Slugonabike! I had assumed you were a chap. I'm a bit confused on the mate thing though - would you not call a girl mate? /ignorant-immigrant

Jezston

Über Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with calling a woman 'mate', even though it is generally a term used between men.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't think there's anything wrong with calling a woman 'mate', even though it is generally a term used between men.

The key, I think, is to make it clear in your sentence structure that you're using the noun form not the verb form.

I have debated having a mirror when I have been touring - but decided against - I am pretty competant looking behind when manouvering and in general traffic - and I decided that if one of the lorries approaching from behind has got my name on it there will be not much I can do about it

Norm

Ok I''ll admit to tucking my t-shirt in. That leaves the rest for you Norm :thumbsup:
After one under near West Drayton last night, they closed Paddington for 2 hours. At that point, I'd have been grateful to have spotted any bloody trains at all.

I'm a bit confused on the mate thing though - would you not call a girl mate? /ignorant-immigrant
I may refer, and indeed have referred, to girls as "mate".

However, I did say that I thought slugonabike was a lady rather than a girl. :biggrin:

I agree with Uncle Phil's comment about the use of mirrors when riding in a group. I know that you can often hear how close your fellow riders are sitting, but I also know that you shouldn't rely on hearing alone.

**blue touch paper lit** :biggrin: :tongue:

Norm

As for whether they look "cool", I'm not sure whether I'd choose cool over safe but I think that the Bike-eye is much less conspicuous than either helmet mounted or bar-end mirrors.

th_DSCN2176.jpg th_DSCN2177.jpg

Top Bottom