Mirrors; are they any use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
As for whether they look "cool", I'm not sure whether I'd choose cool over safe but I think that the Bike-eye is much less conspicuous than either helmet mounted or bar-end mirrors.

th_DSCN2176.jpg th_DSCN2177.jpg

Trouble is some people are far too bothered about looking 'cool' and not as bothered about their own safety or comfort.
When I was out train spotting this morning with my t-shirt and fleece tucked into my pants, being seen to be cool was the last thing on my mind
wink.gif

Origamist

Legendary Member
In the same way that most motorcyclists manage to combine the use of mirrors with shoulder checks/lifesavers, I believe a competent cyclist can similalry use a mirror to complement rearward observation.

[Patrick Moore stylee]I think the geekiest mirror is the spectacle or helmet mounted variety. This peculiar looking mirror on a stalk would often engender curiosity and the occasional snigger at traffic lights from other cyclists. When I lost it many years ago (it fell out of my Carradice side-pocket), I didn't bother replacing it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
You can shave with it. Or apply makeup.

Applying makeup with it suggests a trowelling depth of foundation. Shaving is even more hard core - you have to smash it for a sharp edge I assume? ;)

What's wrong with tucking a t shirt into trousers? It's too cold otherwise, you get a draught...

Most of my interaction with traffic is being overtaken by all and sundry and I've used a Cateye teardrop mirror for years. Wouldn't be without it. The question should be "why be without one?". Is it the extra weight?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In the same way that most motorcyclists manage to combine the use of mirrors with shoulder checks/lifesavers, I believe a competent cyclist can similalry use a mirror to complement rearward observation.

[Patrick Moore stylee]I think the geekiest mirror is the spectacle or helmet mounted variety. This peculiar looking mirror on a stalk would often engender curiosity and the occasional snigger at traffic lights from other cyclists. When I lost it many years ago (it fell out of my Carradice side-pocket), I didn't bother replacing it...

Oh yes! I actually want to pour scorn on you for owning one. But I can't, because I once owned a finger bell [1]. This is equally uncool, making me a hypocrite.

[1] Mounts on your finger, for when you don't have handlebars, such as when skating.

Jezston

Über Member
Oh yes! I actually want to pour scorn on you for owning one. But I can't, because I once owned a finger bell [1]. This is equally uncool, making me a hypocrite.

[1] Mounts on your finger, for when you don't have handlebars, such as when skating.

Like a ring? That actually sounds quite cool!

Head-mounted mirrors have always been out for me as I'm long-sighted so wouldn't be able focus on them anyway. Never felt much of a need for mirrors as I'm fairly decent at looking behind without changing direction these days, and don't feel much need to see behind me unless turning or approaching pinch points.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I use a mirror strapped to the right brake hood. It doesn't interfere with my use of the handlebar or brake levers, and I find it very useful. I don't rely on it 100% of course, i.e. I do headchecks as required. I liked this particular mirror so much, I soon went and bought another as a spare.

IMG_0463-sml.jpg

OP
OP
decca234uk

decca234uk

Thanks for your replies. I can see the advantages but really don't fancy having one on my road bike, might try one on my glasses though, see what it's like. I'll have a look at the bike eyes Norm, thanks for the suggestion.
not sure I'd fancy a helmet mounted mirror Canucks, I've seen some guys with them and they do look a bit eccentric but I've read comments where people swear by them.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'd not be without my bar end mirror. It keeps me 99% aware of what's going on around me, and before changing lanes, a quick 'lifesaver' glance covers the 1%, and lets everyone behind know I'm about to move out.

Bike eye on the road bike and bar end Zefal ones on the other bikes. I leave looking cool to other people.

The only problem with the Zefal one is it adds 4 inches or so of width, which on the commuter MTB is detracting to its already cumbersome filtering ability. It does fold in quite easily though.

Mirror for an overview, and a physical check before committing to a maneouvre.
Works for cars, works for motorbikes, works for bicycles.

Top Bottom