Mirrors For A Drop Handlebar Bike (Road Bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@Lovacott How the heck has a mirror survived on an MTB - or are you not crashing into trees on it ? :whistle:

PS there are some nifty ones for road bikes that are available. Big ones look terrible.

Never used one myself, my ears work, and even I, with a dodgy back, can turn my head.

SGG on a bike

I have the small round bar end type on mine. Works a treat. about £15 from Amazon. (You may have to zoom in a bit to see it).

IMG_0738.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A quick search using the words "road bike mirror drops" came up with a few Cateye mirrors you might consider. I bought a pair of Zefal mirrors for each of my bikes a couple of years back, but the exact type no longer seems to be marketed.

I wouldn't be without them. The only drawbacks are that road vibration and rattles sometimes blur images in the mirror, and I do find that they are quite easily nudged out of position. They are easy enough to reposition in a matter of seconds, and while not showing a particularly clear image, it is clear enough to warn you of the presence of a vehicle behind you or (as sometimes happens in group events) of a cyclist trying to overtake on the wrong side. Having one on the left side when riding abroad has been a particular aid, as I find it quite unnatural looking over my left shoulder. I can recommend them, but you really do need to carry out other visual checks too, as they should not be relied upon for 100% of your observation before manoeuvring.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I have never considered one until a few months ago. Now I find it really useful. It's not like a car mirror and sometimes you need to shift your elbow a touch but overall I now feel uncomfortable without one. Also handy to see how far behind Ms T.F is although that is becoming less often now🙄
I use this one because it has the huge advantage of easy switching between bikes.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-spy-bike-mirror

I use the Bike Eye one mentioned above, which mounts to the frame between downtube and head tube, on my road bike. It's excellent.
https://www.bike-eye.com/

- True, one leg, when down, obscures the view, but if you're pedalling then this is not an issue, in the same way that you can look through spokes when a wheel is rotating. If you're not pedalling, and the mirror side leg is 'up' then the view is clear.
- It's discreet: riding in a group people have several times asked how I can be so aware of traffic behind us.
- It doesn't get knocked. Critically, being on the frame, it does not suffer vibration.
= Like most mirrors on bikes, the field of view is relatively narrow, but if you use it like a car mirror, looking behind every 5-7 seconds or so to maintain situational awareness, it's a very effective bit of kit indeed.

I have the standard width one. I don't think the wider one would help on a road bike.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
A quick search using the words "road bike mirror drops" came up with a few Cateye mirrors you might consider. I bought a pair of Zefal mirrors for each of my bikes a couple of years back, but the exact type no longer seems to be marketed.
My mirror on the MTB is similar. Tiny but convex so it gives a good view of the road behind.

I use mine as an early warning of traffic approaching from behind on the narrow country lanes. I can then make a run to the nearest farm gate or wide section of road where the car can overtake. It's also a good way to see if someone behind me is a bit of a loon intent on doing a bit of close overtaking etc. Like an early warning system of impending but avoidable doom. It's become something which I can't really do without.

Mine is easily knocked out of line and being ball and socket, sometimes it can actually pop out when I try to straighten it and I've had to stop a couple of times to pick it up from the road.

I've tried my existing mirror on the road bike but my right arm is in my line of sight so I wanted something which fits in the end but protrudes out to the right.

chris-suffolk

My mirrors and B&M cyclestar - SJS seemed to have the best pic I could find quickly. Other shops are available.

Attachments

• 16565.jpg
    16565.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
The one on the right looks identical to the ones I run on my drop bars. Perfect view, and out of the way - just replaces the bar end and holds the tape in place.
I used the MTB one on the road bike last week but I had to keep shifting my right arm out of the way to see the mirror. Maybe I'd get used to it after time?
1613762355858.png

chris-suffolk

I find, on the 'hoods' or 'tops', I can see down between my arm and the frame, without the need to move out of the way. On the drops I can't see without making some effort, but then I rarely use the drops except on quick descents, and then focusing on the road ahead is much more important than what's going on behind.

dodgy

I've used Zefal spy mirrors for years, handy for lots of reasons:

Have you dropped your ride partner?
Is someone gaining on you that you'd rather not?
Is a shoulder check necessary (before you get all het up, I mean if you can see a car is coming, no shoulder check is necessary, if you don't see one then you do the shoulder check).

I put min on the end of the drop, so when I look down I can see behind. I've seen other cyclists put them on the top tube.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Is a shoulder check necessary (before you get all het up, I mean if you can see a car is coming, no shoulder check is necessary, if you don't see one then you do the shoulder check).
I don't "shoulder check" either if I've been keeping track of what's going on behind me in the mirror. Not "shoulder checking" is not a crime.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 574660
View attachment 574661
I wouldn't be without them. The only drawbacks are that road vibration and rattles sometimes blur images in the mirror, and I do find that they are quite easily nudged out of position. They are easy enough to reposition in a matter of seconds, and while not showing a particularly clear image, it is clear enough to warn you of the presence of a vehicle behind you or (as sometimes happens in group events) of a cyclist trying to overtake on the wrong side. Having one on the left side when riding abroad has been a particular aid, as I find it quite unnatural looking over my left shoulder. I can recommend them, but you really do need to carry out other visual checks too, as they should not be relied upon for 100% of your observation before manoeuvring.

That road vibration is going through your hands. Lowering tyre pressures can reduce / eliminate the vibration pretty much.

Top Bottom