Mirrors For A Drop Handlebar Bike (Road Bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
On my MTB, I have a bar end mirror on the RHS of the handlebar which is probably the best safety thing I have bought for my bike so far.

I like to see what is going on behind me without having to crane my head back every five seconds (I still look back though before doing right hand turns etc.).

I'd like to fit a mirror to the road bike but I'm not sure of the best option? I could fit a bar end mirror but I'm not sure how well this would work with it being lower down and with my right arm somewhat in the way when I am on the controls.

I've seen a few road bikes with mirrors on flexi stalks but wouldn't they be too easy to knock out of alignment?

Any road bikers out there with a mirror/mirrors?

Gunk

Guru
I’ve got a couple I’ve taken off bikes I’ve bought and sold, drop me a PM, I’m sure I can find one for you.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve found three, all different, the one on the left hand side is for dropped bars, the middle one for mounting on the down tube and one on the RHS only works with flat bars.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I’ve found three, all different, the one on the left hand side is for dropped bars, the middle one for mounting on the down tube and one on the RHS only works with flat bars.
I have the one on the right on my MTB.

The one on the left looks ideal.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
_20210219_081753.JPG

I use one of these..

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Never used a mirror on a cycle. Are the frame mounted ones useful? I've looked at them a few times but never bought one.

Tom B

Guru
Never used a mirror on a cycle. Are the frame mounted ones useful? I've looked at them a few times but never bought one.

Mother in law has one of these she seems to like it and uses it. She got it after falling over drunk and damaging a bone in her neck (rather than damaging the bottle of wine she was carrying) and now finds it hard to do a shoulder check.

https://www.trmesports.com/products/bike-eye-rear-view-mirror

Not sure exactly which retailer she got hers, I think it was from someone advertising in Cycle Mag.

You wouldn't immediately spot it on the bike it's quite tidy unlike some of the carbuncles you can get.

Juliansou

I use this. I’ve never really got on with mounting mirrors to bikes & found this to be much more stable. You can take it on & off in seconds & adjust it for whatever bike you happen to be riding. They’re about a tenner on Amazon.

71n1P0BwLDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: gbb

vickster

Legendary Member
I just use my ears and eyes and look over my shoulder. Even in traffic certainly not every 5 seconds?
Not sure what a tiny mirror in a bar end would add or any mirror unless you have restricted neck movement. Maybe if you’re racing head down in a sprint...I’m not :laugh:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’ve used the middle one in the pic that fits between the head tube and down tube. It’s okay but you have to move your leg out to use. If you don’t like it you can fit it between the U on drop bars.

Top Bottom