Miserable Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yar1950

I have joined this forum as I have a little beef about cycling and would like to get it across on here. Please don't think I am a miserable trouble maker be starting my first thread like this.
I was quite a seasoned cyclist a few years back and recently after retiring got back into cycling. I mainly cycle around the country lanes and coastal paths. Living out in the country /coastal areas when we walk past anyone we say good morning or afternoon. Things are completely different when cycling. I find 8 out of 10 cyclists that I greet as I pass by a nod or lift my hand off the handlebars or say good morning/afternoon completely ignore me. They just look forward with a miserable expression. They are going the same speed as me on a casual ride so it’s not that they concentrating on PB or anything. It is mainly the older riders. I am not a chav riding a scruffy bike that looks menacing,I am a retired tidy dressed chap riding a new Boardman road bike with straight handlebars. I am not wanting to stop them in their stride for a chat. It would be different if we were on opposite sides of a main road but I am passing them at a couple of yards apart.
When I was a motorcyclist we nodded to each other because we had something in common. It was nice to have a bit of camaraderie. Surely it would be nice to do the same in cycling as we all have a common interest. Is there perhaps a snobbery these days?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another 'kerching!' for Ian's jar!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi and welcome. Cycling is no different to anything else. Some people talk, or wave and some don't. Dont be upset if they don't and wave back and smile if they do.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I find that the majority of riders will return my greeting. If they don't, it's probably because they're not the most pleasant person off the bike either, rather than reflecting on cyclists in general. There are always friendly people and unfriendly people in life. You must have just been unlucky enough to meet more than your fair share in one ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think years ago many people were club cyclists or knew people who were and were trained to acknowledge other cyclist, time have changed where as a stranger is just that and should be ignored without eye contact, sad I feel.

I seldom get anyone not returning my nod or wave, but maybe I am lucky.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wahayyyy it's been a while. The old penny jar needs topping up.

kerching.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
There are many groups within the cycling family who only acknowledge their own, it's the same in other interest groups. I knew a guy who owned an MGB car, he waved to all the MGB cars we met on the road, and even to some off the road , but not to any other makes of car.
There's none so queer as folk:smile:

Maybe it's because they don't consider you to be in the correct genre, straight handlebars has maybe got you marked down by them as a non serious cyclist not worthy of acknowledgement. Put a set of drops on and you might get more waves. Just my theory.

keithmac

Guru
I nod at cyclists if making eye contact, even speak to some at the traffic light cycle box now and again!.

I was amazed when towing the caravan not one fellow caravanner waved on the way past, I thought that would be at least half. So it's not just confined to cyclists.

Debade

Über Member
I really changed my view on greetings when I was exposed to S. African village 'tribe' culture. Greetings are so important and so is the person who is in your life right now. For example, if you meet a friend while on the way to an appointment, the face-to-face person gets priority. It is rude to simply walk by the person and/or limit your communication to 'hi, got to run'. The person waiting for the appointment, recognizes that people do come late to appointments. So, someone is going to be offended and in RSA, it is not the person who is in your line of site. And the person waiting, understands.

Not right or wrong but our Western culture puts priority on the appointment. People, especially those you do not know, do not need to be acknowledged. I think this is very unfortunate as in my humble opinion it makes us less human. So, I am always giving a nod, to those on a bike, people at the bus stop, etc. If nothing else, I do think I brighten their day to acknowledge their existence and it frankly helps with my demeanor.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm always surprised when I hear this, whenever I'm out on country / remote roads, nearly everyone waves back. Some even shout jolly halloos, bless them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's life. It was once the thing as we all did (roadies), but lot's of people now in the sport that don't come via clubs. Some won't even say hi at traffic lights. It's life. Grumpy barstewards everywhere.

I'm still old skool, and let onto folk, even MTB/Road when I'm out in the 'opposite camp's kit'. I let on to walkers, dog walkers etc when MTB'ing. Some growl, some ignore, but you project a friendly attitude - share the roads/paths. Keep at it, and ignore the miserable and nasty lot. There are quite a few of these on line too. :tongue:

Top Bottom