Misinformation on drinking alcohol and cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just been listening to Radio Clyde 2, and a discussion about whether or not it is illegal to be drunk in charge of a donkey.
One of the studio participants took the view that yes, it is illegal, because "it's like drink cycling, which is the same as drinking and driving, so don't do it."
Wrong information. It is against the law to be DRUNK while cycling, which is very different to being over the drink drive limit. There is no prescribed alcohol limit in law with regards to cycling. You would need to be in a pretty bad way to bring yourself to the attention of the Police and get yourself convicted of cycling while drunk.
I will confess to enjoying the odd pint or 3 while out cycling. In no way is it even vaguely similar to driving a 2 tonne fast moving car on a public road after a few pints. My bike weighs about 12 kilos, and in the unlikely event that I fall off then I am only likely to harm myself. I hope the extremist risk averse types never get the opportunity to take that particular pleasure away from us.:cheers:
Incidentally, it is NOT illegal to be drunk in charge of a donkey!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And there's no power for police to require a sample of breath, blood or urine to establish the level of alcohol present either. You'd need to be under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the bicycle.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
'Refreshed' cycling is one of the great joys of life. In fact, one of the reasons I ever got back into cycling (early 90's) was because I was fed up paying £15 for a taxi to get me the 3 miles back to my village (Tal-y-Bont) from my favourite pub in Bangor. so I bought a £10 BSO and the rest is history. :cheers::bicycle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not if you land in the side carp. :okay:
I wasn't thinking of that type of pike :okay:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
last time I had a few pints and rode home, I scared myself ****less on a corner.

Seevio

Guru
I've always thought that the offence of "unable to control your bicycle due to the effects of alcohol" was one of the more unnecessary laws. Personal testing would suggest that one is either in control of the bicycle or very quickly no longer on the bicycle.

a.twiddler

Veteran
'Refreshed' cycling is one of the great joys of life. In fact, one of the reasons I ever got back into cycling (early 90's) was because I was fed up paying £15 for a taxi to get me the 3 miles back to my village (Tal-y-Bont) from my favourite pub in Bangor. so I bought a £10 BSO and the rest is history. :cheers::bicycle:
That's how I got started too! Though it soon became more about the cycling than the pub. It's still nice when the opportunity arises to stop for a pub meal and refreshments as I did in my touring heyday. In moderation of course and Covid regs notwithstanding. And nowadays, bladder capacity too! Mine must have been immense then, about the size of a peanut nowadays.

Top Bottom