Miss Belgium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I've got a bad cold at the mo and can do flemish fluently!

NickM

Veteran
Irish? I'm very much afraid that you appear to be confused.

Generally speaking, the Walloons choose not to learn Dutch; many of the "Flemings" can speak French but choose not to; and people in Brussels are happily bilingual.

SamNichols

There is no real move to split, I have mentioned it to a Belgian before, she looked incredulous at me and then had a rant about the British media, which is supposedly inventing a lot of division where previously there was none.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
SamNichols said:
There is no real move to split, I have mentioned it to a Belgian before, she looked incredulous at me and then had a rant about the British media, which is supposedly inventing a lot of division where previously there was none.

Really? My Belgian friends think it's highly possible, but that probably nothing will happen - and in fact having no official government doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
A German friend once explained to me that the Belgians are the Italians of N Europe but without the charm, friendliness and dress sense.

Also members of the German minority in Belgium (just across the border from Aachen) claim that they are in fact the real Belgians and the Walloons and Flems are French and Dutch interlopers.

splitters

Top Bottom